Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Ornament Legacy

1. Snow Child Ornament 2009 - for Kee-ku, 2. Snow Child Ornament 2009 - for Little Miss

I am in the *crafterglow* at the moment. You didn't think that was a word, did you? It's what I would call the feeling of completing a project that turned out well. Not to be confused with the *crapterglow* that comes when hard work does not . . . well . . . pay off.

As I eluded to in a previous post, I have not always finished the projects I have started. Even some of the ones I have been super excited to start have been put aside for a few too many days and before you know it, pieces and supplies get lost and the motivation dries up. But since it is holiday decorating time around our house, I have uncovered the ornaments that I was talking about here. The ones that my mom made for me each year. As it turns out, she didn't make one for each year of my life. She did, however, make one a year for 7 years. That's a lot of ornament making considering I have 2 sisters who have their own Ziplock bags of handmade holiday fare. Just seeing them, I was encouraged afresh to finish the ornaments for my own kids. I didn't ask my mom if it was ok to share these with you, but I'm pretty sure she won't mind.

I believe this first one was made in 1982 (when I was 3). It's the only one not labeled, so I may be mistaken on that. I suppose I could likewise be mistaken that my mom even made it since it's not labeled, but it was in the Ziploc so I'm just gonna go with it:1983:
1984:
1985:
1986:
1987 (I remember picking blue for my angel . . . it's always been my favorite color):
1988 (I specifically asked my mom to give me the design that had a dog on it. I was constantly begging my parents for a dog until they finally broke down and got me one for my 11th birthday a few years later):

So now you can see where the ornament urge comes from. I hope I can continue the tradition on for my kids for years to come. Even if they don't seem to care.

Because I do.

Ronni December 3, 2009 at 10:04 AM

That was so neat to see the ones your mom made for you. And great job on your first ornaments!

urban craft December 3, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Ha! I like crafterglow, I have spent some time in the crapterglow too.
Love the idea of annual ornaments!

Skooks December 3, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Ah, yes! I try not to spend too much time in the crapterglow but it does happen occasionally. Thanks for your comment!

kaffyvan December 3, 2009 at 8:51 PM

LOVE those new words (you're too funny) -- they totally fit !!! And such fun seeing those great ornaments your mom made through the years - they are wonderful mementos (she does beautiful work) -- glad you're keeping the tradition alive. Your kids will love them!

Skooks December 4, 2009 at 1:06 AM

She does! We decorated our first real tree tonight and as I was putting them up, I saw how much more precise my mom was with all the ornaments she made for me than my first try ornaments are here. The lady's got skills.

kaffyvan December 6, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Hey Skooks, your ornaments are adorable -- and remember, you're just getting started. You are creating heirlooms for your kids, what could be better than that!!! You go girl!

Centsational Girl December 8, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I absolutely adore your collections. Makes me long for those ornaments I made as a kid that my mom threw away years ago. *Sniff* What precious treasures you possess. Thanks so much for linking !

Hugs
Kate

Heather@PixieDust December 12, 2009 at 9:17 AM

i love the Eskimos!! they are so cute :)