Friday, January 8, 2010

What would you do with $125 in sewing money?

Mr. Skooks has extremely generous parents and grandparents.  For Christmas this year Grandma and Grandpa gave me a $50 gift card to Jo-Ann.  Woot!  If that wasn't exciting enough, my wonderful in-laws gave me a check for $75 to be spent on *sewing supplies*.  Woot Woot!  (Yes, they specified its use right in the lil memo line.)  Permission to spend $$ on sewing?  Permission granted!

Now comes the plotting.  And the scheming.  How much can I get for $125?  Do I go for quantity (explore the ole notions wall and go wild)?  Do I go for fabric (dare I say that even with my limited quilting experience that I'd like to buy my first jelly roll - or 2 - or 3)?  Do I get some schmancy snippers, thread snips, and/or a better seam ripper a la Gingher?  New books filled with patterns/inspiration?  Or do I pony up some of my own dough and put it towards a serger?  My goodness I would like a serger.  I just demolished 5 t-shirts for a dress-making project for Little Miss and a serger would finish it off *so* deliciously.

What would you do?  I have been to Jo-Ann twice since Christmas and have yet to put the money down on the counter for anything.  Too indecisive.

For reals.  What would you get if someone was forcing you to spend money on creative stuff?  (Yes, they are making me spend money on myself.  Woe is me.  :P )

P.S.  I wasn't kidding about the t-shirts.  They will never return to their former glory.  And they WILL be made into something(s) new this weekend.  With or without a serger.

Which reminds me, I need some spray starch . . .

Lilith's mommy January 8, 2010 at 1:39 PM

I don't know...I'm pretty much in the same situation. My mom owes me a shopping trip to JoAnn's and Fabric Depot. :) I'll probably get fabric and some other notions that I want or don't have. Maybe some patterns or a book.

Right now, I'm using my mom's serger. I'd like to get one of my own. I have a used on in our garage from a friend of my mom, but we're not sure if it'd be worth repairing or just get a new one.

Skooks January 8, 2010 at 2:48 PM

I know I know . . . I just cannot decide. I have way too many directions I'd like to take with it . . .

Do you have sewing repair shop near you? Maybe you could take it in and just talk to them to see how much it would cost to fix vs. how good a machine it is.

Ronni January 9, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Ooo, I'm totally indecisive, too. We got Kohls and Target gift cards for Christmas and have had the same experience of walking around the store and just not being able to decide what to get and leaving with nothing. Crafting money is very exciting...but I can't help with what to buy. :) Whatever you get, it will be awesome!

Ronni January 9, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Also...not sold at Joann...but I have been totally lusting after Amy Butler fabrics for quilts lately. Take a peek, you'll love them.

Skooks January 9, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Ronni, yeah. I'm onto Amy Butler big time. Not in love with everything she puts out, but so much of it is really lovely (and good quality) in person.

Kathy January 9, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Wow, whatever to do??? Not that this isn't a great problem to have, but which way to go. My first inclination is to save up for a serger, since you already have a good chunk of change. But so tempting to stock up on other essentials needed for the sewing room. Oh dear, how to decide...I guess I'm not very much help.

erika~ the inspired mama January 10, 2010 at 9:24 PM

oooh, what a fun gift!

hmmm, well, i have that exact serger and LOVE it, so i doubt you'd be disappointed if you decided to go that route. i would probably stock up on notions- thread, rotary blades, needles, and a pair of pinking shears (i want a pair bad!) and then use the rest on fabric, wonderful, fabric! can't wait to see what you end up coming home with!!

xo,
erika

Skooks January 10, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Erika - SO glad you commented that you have that serger and love it! I have been reading reviews like crazy and the overwhelming majority of people seem to love that particular model. :) I actually went out to my Jo-Ann to look at it in person and for some reason they don't deal Brothers at that location and were semi-appalled that they were being sold online! I'm thinking maybe my particular Jo-Ann location has got an agreement with Viking/Pfaff/Singer and so they assume Jo-Ann doesn't sell their competitor's machines.

Just talked to my father-in-law who knows a dealer for Brother (among others) and might be able to get me an even better deal! Maybe then I could get more than just the serger. :)

Lilith's mommy January 12, 2010 at 9:18 PM

I think my mom's machine guy said it would be $300. My mom said to just get a new one. LOL

Our JoAnn's used to be like yours (selling Viking and others). They took the sewing machine center out a while ago and now only has a handful of sewing machines and sergers.

Skooks January 12, 2010 at 11:21 PM

I think your mom is right. Not sure what exactly you're looking for, but check out the link on the Brother I just ordered that I put in this post. It's only $199 at Amazon right now (which according to my FIL's inside sewing dealer friend is a very good deal), and it got gobs of great reviews everywhere from Amazon to PatternReview to right here on this comment form. :)