Friday, February 12, 2010

Button Button, Who's Got the Button?

Valentine's Day is around the corner.  Do you celebrate it?  Feel like it's a Hallmark holiday?

Whether you like it or lump it, in my opinion, there is always room for a little chocolate.  Just a little brain wave I had (this Christmas actually) when my in-laws brought over some chocolates to share with the family:  these containers would be a great way to store your smallest notions.  After all, they've already got all the little dividers in there.

As you can see, I'm favoring this one at the moment for my vintage button stash.

BOTTOM LINE: Scarf your chocolates as fast as you wish, but consider the storage possibilities of the container if it's save-able.  I could see some paper storage not being amazing, but this one is clear plastic and the dividers that hold the chocolates are fixed (as opposed to having the little papers and nothing else holding the goodies inside.)

Are you a re-purposer?  What's your favorite "you may have one of these laying around your house somewhere" item to store your craft supplies?  I'm looking to reconfigure my craft storage and I'm not ashamed to steal your ideas.  ;)

P.S. My buttons look almost as delectable as the Rochers did before I devoured them.  Almost.

Lilith's mommy February 12, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I use an empty dish soap bottle full of water to fill up my iron. I saw it on another blog. I also use glass jars to hold things (my buttons, elastic, etc.)

Skooks February 12, 2010 at 3:22 PM

That dish soap/water bottle idea is great! It drives me nuts when I run out of water in my iron in the middle of a project because there is no water source on that floor. Wonderful!

Lilith's mommy February 12, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I love it, especially when I'm working on something that I use my iron on a lot. Just make sure you rise the bottle out really good before you use it for your iron. You can decorate the bottle, too. I haven't made mine pretty, yet.

urban craft February 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM

great idea for the box as a button holder. I was thinking I could get a chocolate box when I made felt chocolates, but it was a little too small. Buttons work great.

Kathy February 14, 2010 at 3:11 PM

that box is a work of art in itself -- looks great!

libby February 21, 2010 at 4:19 AM

Thanks for the idea. I actually have this same container that I kept from Christmas. Had no idea what I was going to do with it until now :-).

Libby

Skooks February 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Alright Libby! Glad I could help you come up with a use for it. :)

Allison February 24, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I love it, it's actually a lot prettier than it is with chocolate in it...and that's saying a lot since Ferrero Roche is one of the few chocolates that I like:)
In terms of re-purposing, I use some little jam-type jars to keep buttons, safety pins (a fashion designer's best friend), pins, etc in. I like to have everything separated....still working on that.
I repurpose other stuff too, I'm just really bad at thinking of them on the spot:P

Veronica October 18, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Oh what a good excuse to go buy me some Ferrero Rocher! Yummy! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing! I found you over at the Link Party for DIY Lifestyle.
www.veronicahurly.blogspot.com