Thursday, February 18, 2010

Tutorial: Recycled Paper Flower Gift Bows

Wow.  Can I just say, any of you bloggers out there who have put out a tutorial in the past: THANK YOU.  When I set out to write/photograph this little tute, I had no idea just how time consuming it is to do such a thing.  But I am VERY excited to be able to share my first (of hopefully many more!) with you.

And now presenting, the inspiration:
This was the cute little embellishment on top of the gift I got for Valentine's Day from Mr. Skooks from Ten Thousand Villages.  Like any Crafty McCrafterson would, I marveled at how lovely it was and then almost immediately took it apart to figure out how it was made.  Well, not at that moment.  I still had to open and marvel at the actual gift!  But after I opened the gift, I certainly revisited it.  (I know I'm not the only sucker out there for sweet wrapping jobs.)

The good news: it could not be more easy!  Give it a try and you'll be making your own for all your gifts before you know it.

STEP ONE: Gather your supplies.
  • You're going to need 3 squares of colored/patterned paper (I cut my pieces out of a magazine that was on its way to the recycle bin, but you could use construction paper, origami paper, or whatever you have on hand).  I cut mine to about 3 1/2" square, but you could easily vary this if you want a larger or smaller flower.
  • You're also going to cut 3 squares of print paper (again, mine were from a mag, but you could use newsprint like the inspiration, or whatever else strikes your fancy) to about 2" (or ~1 1/2" smaller than your colored squares).  Eyeball it if you want.  This does not have to be terribly exact.
  • A bit of thread
  • Scissors

STEP TWO: Fold your paper in half.

STEP THREE: Clip the corners.
Here's what it should look like when it's opened up:
STEP FOUR:  Fold it back and forth accordion style.
STEP FIVE:  Repeat with the other pieces of colored paper.
STEP SIX: Repeat all the steps above using the print paper.
Here's what you should now have:
STEP SEVEN:  Fold one of your colored pieces.
STEP: EIGHT:  Fold another one going the other direction.

STEP NINE: Arrange like so.
STEP TEN: Pinch the 3 pieces you have together.
You can tie them with a bit of thread at this point if you wish, but it's not necessary.  I'm more showing you this so you can see approximately what we're going to do with it in a minute.
STEP ELEVEN: Repeat the above steps for the print paper.
STEP TWELVE: Pinch the print paper trio together.
STEP THIRTEEN:  Wrap the center with thread until it is secure.

STEP FOURTEEN:  Fan it out.  You're almost done!
STEP FIFTEEN:  Layer the print cluster on top of the colored cluster.  Pinch and wrap the thread around until it's secure.  Tie a knot on the bottom.
STEP SIXTEEN:  Separate the petals a bit.
STEP SEVENTEEN:  Fan the paper out.  You did it!

Well, aren't you just so clever.  ;)

Theta Mom February 18, 2010 at 2:02 PM

I am impressed - awesome!

Mustang65 February 18, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Cool idea! I also like how you speak "mc"ish...I speak that too-I called one of my twins Runny McRunnerson this very morning! I am going to try your project out and maybe if I'm successful...hang for the twins' bday tuesday. :)

Kathy February 18, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Wow, that is soooo cool! And perfect timing, my boss's birthday celebration is next Tuesday and I just got the gift -- will have to try this out.

Kim @ Everything Etsy February 19, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial! What a classy looking flower.

Thanks for joining the linky party with your great post.

~Kim

Skooks February 19, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Thanks everyone! I really had a good time putting this together. :)

Carole B. February 19, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Thank you for taking the time for this tute! It is wonderful!

Jill February 19, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Great tutorial! I'm wrapping a birthday present tomorrow and am going to put aside some extra time to make one of these flowers. I LOVE having ideas for using magazines headed for recycling.

sunghee February 20, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Ooo~~~ I love this! I gotta try to make this! Thanks for the great tutorial! I love this step-by-step instruction with lots of photos. THANK YOU!

Anne February 21, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Thanks for this tutorial - lovely and clear and easy to follow - I had go, and I'm super pleased with it!

glor February 22, 2010 at 7:42 AM

Thanks for shaing this...its wonderful. Look forward to making these.

Upstatemomof3 February 22, 2010 at 10:43 AM

That is so neat!! What a very cool and unique idea. I love making presents look unique and beautiful when I wrap them. Thanks!

Kaysi February 22, 2010 at 1:56 PM

That is such a fun idea! I would have never thought of doing this, so thanks for the idea!
Kaysi
Keeping It Simple

Tiff @ Making The World Cuter February 23, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Love it! Aren't tutorials the best! :) It takes me 5 times as long to do everything now! hee hee! Thanks for sharing it is super fun!

Skooks February 23, 2010 at 12:39 AM

The drawn out process of taking the photos of each step is kinda crazy. Still fun though! Hmm . . . what to tutorial-ize next? ;)

Jeans and a Sweatshirt- February 23, 2010 at 8:34 AM

I love the upcycling of it all! Thanks for the lesson!

Anonymous,  February 24, 2010 at 8:41 AM

My very first thought was "That would make an awesome choker necklace!"

It might be scratchy with paper though... I wonder how it would turn out if I used fabric stiffened with interfacing...

Hmmm.... **wanders off to the scrap-pile**

Anonymous,  February 25, 2010 at 3:38 AM

Totally Cool! It's simple and cheap!

YOU ROCK!

The Good Vibes Girl February 25, 2010 at 7:02 AM

wow that is soooo cool can't wait to try it out!

JanMary February 27, 2010 at 2:48 AM

Happy Sits Saturday from N Ireland

Love this tutorial and your photos and instructions were really easy to follow - I may get my daughters to give this a go.

Have a lovely weekend.

ComplyKated February 27, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Came to you from SITS. Neat idea. Great use for all those unused magazines sitting in the recycle bin.

Amu and Pri March 3, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Very cute paper flowers! Creative mind i should say!
Thanks for posting!
www.priya123.etsy.com

Ink and Ivy March 25, 2010 at 11:07 PM

This is real cute. kinda reminds me of the paper snowflakes we used to make when we were kids.

Pysselfarmor April 18, 2010 at 5:41 AM

This flower is very cool! Thanks for your comment on my blog. Sorry, it's only in Swedish but there are lot of links to other sites...even your.

Have a nice day!
Love

ms Joyce January 15, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Hi, came to you kinda roundabout. May decide to stick around. Good good tut .. painstakeing on your part. Think I can remember and will be able to use over and over again. Aint found art fun. TFS

Anonymous,  June 30, 2011 at 3:48 PM

~ Thats so nice and easy. Thanks for takin' the time to show us all how.~

Height Data July 12, 2011 at 7:43 AM

You can even teach kids how to make this one. Easier but better.

plumbing July 19, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Thanks for the step by step process. I really really like it :) I hope I can do it successfully!