Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Felt Flower Hippie Headbands

I hope that none of you have been too concerned that I have been wallowing in the I-need-to-find-a-place-to-move-to Blues.  While it has been on my mind (for sure), I have continued to carve out bits and pieces of time to MAKE.  It just needs to happen to keep me from exploding.

This weekend I reached into my bag o' linkies and pulled out one that I had bookmarked ages ago, but never attempted.  Koala Brains posted this little tutorial on how to make Felt Flower hair clips nearly a year ago.  Yes, I'm a bit behind.  ;)

These are so fun to make!  I'm in the middle of a 100 Day Craft Burn, so it's a good thing I have been hoarding some goodies: ribbons and buttons, some elastic left over from a previous project, and my fat stack of felt (somehow I WAY overbought for that Felt Nativity project I was working on before Christmas last year).  I could probably drum up some mismatched barrettes to use on these flowers, but I wanted to make Little Miss some hippie hairbands instead because clips seem to fall out of her hair all the time (and with her long curly hair she already looks so very much like a Flower Child).  I hadn't yet attached the yellow and green one to a band when this picture was taken:

Little Miss, of course, thought they were BEAUTIFUL.  She loves to run and play and jump and be loud, but she's also quite a girly girl and loves her some ACCESSORIES.
Quite bashful with picture taking, but you get the idea.

I'm linking up to some awesome linky parties this week. Check them out here and share the linky love!

Kathy March 16, 2010 at 3:14 PM

ADORABLE -- and I've got a bin full of all kinds of ribbons... guess I know what my next quickie project is -- before making a sunbonnet for granddaughter and a grocery cart cover for granddaughter's cousin... and I still want to send for/make, another Quilts for Kids. Need-More-Time!

Skooks March 17, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Oh I know! Too many projects. And the more I look around at all these awesome blogs, Flickr, etc, I just keep adding them onto the list! It's madness I tell you!

Rachel Beyer March 17, 2010 at 5:57 PM

SO CUTE! That's so funny that you've posted this. I just finished putting together a craft tutorial on how to make a daisy headband, similar to yours except the daisy is made out of yarn instead of felt. I LOVE yours and the idea of using buttons for the flower-center :)

Feel free to check out my tutorial! It will be posted on my blog tomorrow :)

Jingle March 18, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Those headbands are super cute and your model is even cuter! :-)

Kim @ Everything Etsy March 18, 2010 at 5:56 PM

How fun! Great for Spring! :)

~Kim

Laura March 22, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Bless her heart! She looks so good in it that she just can't stand it! :)

I think I need one of those.

Gasai March 22, 2010 at 3:48 PM

so adorable

p.s visiting from SITS

koala brains March 22, 2010 at 10:58 PM

These came out beautiful. Good job! Nice to have a little one who will wear hair accessories. My daughter is 4 and still won't wear the hair clips I made for her and you can bet she has tons of them. Figures, doesn't it? LOL!

Skooks March 22, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Thanks for all the sweet comments everyone!

I'm definitely going to make more. :)

Stacey @ Fun to Craft March 24, 2010 at 7:18 PM

These are so great! I love felt flowers too!! Thanks for sharing at Spring has Sprung at Fun to Craft!

simplydesigning.blogspot.com March 25, 2010 at 2:36 AM

Cute headband! I think it turned out great.

Please post a link or my button on your site or blog post letting everyone know you linked on my link party.

Thanks for linking up at my link party!

Be sure to stop by on Friday for another fun link party!

Thanks!