Monday, April 26, 2010

DIY: Rainbow Cake

Little Miss turned 3 today.  It's hard to believe that 3 years has gone by since she made her entrance into the world.  To celebrate (among other things), she helped me make a Rainbow Cake.

Perfect jobs for the about to be 3 year old:
  • sorting the whole bag of Skittles by color
  • lining the entire bottom of the cake with marshmallows to conceal the fact that I ran out of frosting towards the end
  • "accidentally" slipping while placing the marshmallows on the cake and "having no choice" but to lick her fingers . . . over and over again
Things I would do differently next time?
  • Buy 3 boxes of cake mix instead of 2 OR use 8 inch rounds instead of 9 inch
  • Buy 3 large tubs of frosting rather than 2
  • Borrow 4 more pans instead of using the only 2 I had 3 times with cooling and cleaning time in between.  Oy.
  • Allow the cake to cool a teense more completely before attempting to frost.  I'm afraid some of the layers suffered a bit during the frosting process even though I did stick the whole shebang in the freezer before the final frost.  You can see in the above photo, though, how the cake had a bit of damage from too vigorous spatula usage.  Oh well.
It did, however, kinda go over HUGE.

The remains of a most excellent birthday:
Want to make this cake?  Of course you do.  I found the idea originally on, where else, The Idea Room.

Hearthandmade April 27, 2010 at 5:56 AM

woooow..... Im brainstorming ideas for a big girly tea party birthday with LOADS and LOADS of cake... this looks promising!

Erin April 27, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I love all the color inside the cake. I wasn't expecting it! Big girl tea party sounds like tons of fun!

Cynthia Devening April 27, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Love the cake :) I have to have a Cinderella cake ready for this weekend!

Kathy April 27, 2010 at 4:39 PM

That cake was gorgeous, how perfect for a little girl -- or anyone for that matter.

Regarding your "TO DO NEXT TIME" -- when purchasing tubs of frosting, whip the frosting with your mixer and it will nearly double in volume, and be lighter and fluffier. Gave this hint to my daughter for Clara's birthday cupcakes -- what a difference! Less expense as well. ;-)

Traci66 April 27, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I came over via Tuesday Tag-Along and decided to follow you. I hope you will come see me. I am #4 Traci66 on Mr. Linky or http://traci66.blogspot.com I am lining up some reviews and giveaways from some various businesses, these will be starting soon. Maybe Monday. I hope you will come join me for some fun. Happy Tuesday. The cake is very colorful.

**Amy** April 27, 2010 at 10:49 PM

It turned out great! I love that you chose blue frosting for the sky! Great job! Thanks for the link :)!

Gina F April 27, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Love the Rainbow cake. Very Colorful! We both have the same background on our blog. TOO FUNNY!! I love to bake also. I have some children's recipes on my blog. Take a look if you can. HAVE A BLESS DAY!!!

Gina
Visit my blog at http://motherof1princessand2princes.blogspot.com

Shel April 28, 2010 at 9:21 AM

I LOVE this cake! I've already stashed the recipe/instructions away in my files and hope to do this when my little one is old enough to help (and appreciate!).

Skooks April 29, 2010 at 1:51 AM

Thanks everyone! It really took me all day because of the 2 pan thing, but it was so worth it. Little Miss was SO beyond thrilled and excited to help me make it and when we cut it open she screamed her head off. It was totally awesome!!

luluvillage April 30, 2010 at 6:42 PM

That is the coolest cake ever! Awesome job, I will totally try this!

Allison @ House of Hepworths May 1, 2010 at 3:35 AM

The cake is adorable! And when I saw the piece you cut into it made me smile. I really love it!

Thanks for sharing this because it's such an adorable idea!

Thanks for Hookin' Up with me at my first party!

Ray* December 8, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Oh my goodness. How cool is that!!

Skooks December 8, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Yeah . . . my 3 year old still talks about that cake sometimes and that was 8 months ago!

Mindy@FindingSilverLinings January 14, 2011 at 4:08 PM

YAY! I've made rainbow cupcakes, but never a cake. The candy rainbow is adorable!
xo
Mindy

Skooks January 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Thanks! LM still talks about her Rainbow Cake TO THIS DAY. So yes, anyone wondering . . . it will go over HUGE with the toddler crowd. :)