Monday, May 10, 2010

Made: Flower Girl Dress

Ok, not a dress. Not exactly.

For those of you following along, let me pick back up where I left off here, here, and here.  I've been working (slowly) on a Patty Young (Modkid Boutique) pattern called Emma.  It's actually not a dress.  It's actually a top and a skirt that layered together look like a dress.

I went out this weekend and got some new buttons that hopefully fix my button bleed issue.  These new ones are washable, dry cleanable, have smaller shanks, and frankly are kind of nicer than the ones I had on there originally.

To finish off each "petal", I had to decide whether to use traditional hems or rolled edge hems a la serger.  Since I *have* a serger (and because I thought it would be *easier*), I opted for the rolled edging.

Before I got to that point it had been a pretty pleasant dress-making experience. BEFORE.

While I won't say I regret doing this (not really), I will say that some not so lady-like mutterings [maybe][possibly] might have been uttered by me once the serging process began.

Why?

Well, for one, I think I threaded and rethreaded that machine oh, I don't know, 17 times THE EXACT SAME WAY before it decided to chain off properly.  Ok ok.  It must not have been done the exact same way every time, but heck if I could tell you what the difference was between the first attempt and the 17th attempt.  I think that's probably the most infuriating part of it.  Just not knowing the difference so I could say, "OH!  So if this happens again, I just do THAT and all will be well!"  Grr . . .

I think I need to take a proper serger usage class.  Plain and simple.  Because at the moment Sergei and I are not on speaking terms.

The other *could be construed as frustrating moment* came when Little Miss tried it on.  And then told me she didn't want to turn around so I could see the back.  And then told me she didn't like it.  And then started sobbing when I told her to just take it off already then.  (When I suggested this course of action, she actually told me over and over PLEASE DON'T TAKE THE DRESS AWAY I WANT IT!!" - - Ah, to be 3.)
Hence the model shot:
Oh well.  I like to think the real problem she was having was that it wasn't her uncle's wedding day yet.  She keeps telling me how much she wants to *go* to their wedding.  Like, "C'mon Mom.  Let's go to the wedding already!"

Kathy May 10, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Wow, talk about challenging... a 3 year old model -- and working with a serger -- I know the feeling on both counts. But the end result looks great and lil miss will be so happy once the wedding day arrives, showing off her new dress..
Great Job!

Skooks May 11, 2010 at 2:26 AM

Oh please, if you ever see it up close in real life try to refrain from using your glasses. There are some mistakes (plenty) that I chose to live with because I was starting to get way too frustrated with the whole serging process. From afar it works, but up close I'm not going to lie . . . it's got a few, er, snafus.

Sarah May 11, 2010 at 4:58 AM

I want to be three again...! Also - you've won my blog giveaway! Email your address to wrappedupwithstring@googlemail.com and I'll get your goodies posted out to you :) thanks so much for entering!

Sarah x
wrappedupwithstring.blogspot.com

Ronni May 11, 2010 at 7:48 AM

It looks wonderful, you did an amazing job! And as far as the snafus go, you are probably the only one that will notice them. I have certainly argued with my sewing machine before, I know how it goes. Right now I'm making an appliqued quilt for a friend's upcoming baby shower, and the applique process has made me a little suicidal. :)

Skooks May 11, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Yeah, I'm not sweating the mess ups terribly. Problems I create that I truly cannot live with get ripped out as they occur. The ones left when all is said and done are things I can live with. Especially since I'm not trying to sell this dress or anything! ;)

Leigh May 17, 2010 at 2:40 AM

It looks gorgeous!!! I still haven't attempted the top half of that pattern, and all three Emma skirts have been done with the help of my sewing teacher- specifically with her standing by and watching me switch the serger to rolled hem. I did finally take a serger class and it's been invaluable!