Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tools of the Trade: Lint Roller

I'm not sure where I first heard this idea, but it's a genius one. Especially if your most used sewing tool, like mine, is a seam ripper.

Don't get me wrong, ripping out a line (or 12) of stitching that went awry is not going to become "fun" because you have a lint roller. But it will become less tedious.

Step One: Realize you messed up your stitching.

Step Two: Slap your forehead once, firmly but not too hard. You want to reinforce to yourself to not do what you just did again, NOT knock yourself so hard you forget what you were doing or worse PASS OUT.

Step Three: Watch your language. There may be children present.

Step Four: Unpick the nasty business with your seam ripper of choice.

Step Five: I'm serious.  Watch your mouth.

Step Six: Get out that lint roller you never use. You do have a lint roller don't you? If not, they're cheap and you can get them almost anywhere.

Step Seven: Run your roller over that hot mess of threads you've got hanging out of your project. See how easy they come out? Isn't that dandy?!

Perhaps, but not dandy enough to start messing up projects on purpose.

[Author's note: This post may or may not have been inspired by my latest dress alterations project.]

Kathy June 16, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Now why didn't I think of that, oh so long ago. Thanks for an excellent tip! And my lint roller is actually IN my sewing room.

Allison June 17, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Great idea, I love lint rollers, and they're at the dollar store:)

Allison June 17, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Great idea, and they are at the dollar store!

Sara June 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM

You are really smart. How did I miss this smart/crafty gene?

Lilith's mommy June 17, 2010 at 7:06 PM

I have a lint roller in my sewing area, but not for that. I use it to clean off my cutting mat (especially when cutting things like Minkee). LOL Or for what it's actually for...cleaning lint off of things. I may have to try that next time I "unstitch" something. Oh, and I got mine from the dollar bins at Target. :)

aubrey June 17, 2010 at 9:44 PM

This is such a simple, but great idea! I think it will be rather satisfying after ripping a seam out.