Thursday, July 8, 2010

IKEA Sewing Room Essentials

I wish I lived by an IKEA.  The closest one is several hours away, and I've never been to it.  Lucky for me my parents live about a half hour away from one, so when I visit them (sometimes) I drag Mr. Skooks get to go shopping for home goodies.

With my sewing room makeover in progress, it was becoming more and more clear that a side trip to said Swedish mecca was in order.  This time thankfully, my sis and brother-in-law were gracious enough to host my kiddos so I didn't have to drag them along.  Not that they don't LOVE hours of oogling at home decor items and storage solutions, mind you.

Notable purchases necessary to make the sewing room more functional included:

1. A new permanent home for my machines.  YAY!  No more taking it all down and packing it away to unpack it again!!  I got the longest work top I could get to fit in my space and some shwanky little legs for her.

2. Some boxes to corral projects in process.
  3. And a few more for smaller patterns and books.
  4. A couple rolls of paper for drawing and cutting larger pattern pieces.  I may have been stealing from Little Miss' supply before.  Possibly.  Don't tell her.
  5. Icing.  On the cake.

Yes, I know I know.  But you agree with me, don't you . . . the chandelier was NECESSARY.  ;)

Anyone else make a trip to the Yellow and Blue superstore lately?  Do tell. :)

*****UPDATED: Check out the new craft room all put together HERE and my monster post about how to get all your crafty stuff organized HERE.*****

Gina July 8, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I have been there about 5-6 times in the past few months - trying to organize my son's playroom. I LOVE going to Ikea!

aubrey July 8, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I am due for a visit but it means a mini trip so it hasn't happened yet. A chandelier is awesome for a sewing area! So posh!

Skooks July 8, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Oh girl, I am with you on the kids stuff! I scored some sweet Trofast units on Craigslist recently for a song and they have completely transformed our playroom/office.

Skooks July 8, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Yay, Aubrey! I knew someone would help me justify my chandy. :)

Kathy July 8, 2010 at 4:42 PM

You are going to have the most awesome sewing/craft room ever... and LOVE the chandelier, what a neat idea -- can't wait to see pics when the room is complete.

kfro July 8, 2010 at 6:52 PM

"has anyone been to ikea lately?" puh-lease. it's just a hope skip and a jump, so... YES. hahaha. i like to make a couple smaller (dollar wise) trips, then i feel like i haven't spent as much. i know it's bogus, but it always seems to work out that way. hahaha.

i also bought some hangers last time i was there. that is not a joke. i had a good laugh. no 'boxes' were involved.

Anzouya July 10, 2010 at 3:10 AM

Hello there! I just wanted you to know that I've honored you with two special awards. The Sunshine Award and the versatile blogger award, because I really enjoy your blog. You can check it out here:
    Have A Lovely Day!

Courtney Q. March 25, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I feel you pain about IKEA being so far away, I am 2.5 hours from my nearest one and ever time I go to visit friends in that city I beg and cry to go there too. I am also wanting the long desktop but I am opting for the storage ends, VIKA ANNEFORS. They're a little more, but my friend has one and her serger fits perfectly inside. I just love your blog, I am always sharing ideas from it with others. Thank you!