Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Quest for a New Iron

When I left home for college oh so many moons ago, I bought myself an iron. I'm not sure why actually? I guess because an iron is something that my mom had in her house and I thought, "I'm not going to be at home anymore . . . what if I need an iron and no one has one?!"

Why would I even think that? To this day I live in clothing that requires no pressing. Not because I never accidentally leave the clothes sitting in the dryer too long but because in those instances I just [gasp] run them through the dryer another time.  I know.  I'm a total energy waster that way.

Don't get too upset with me.  I wear jeans and t-shirts on a regular basis and generally don't find a need for the re-dry terribly often.

Anyway, that's not why I need an iron.  My old had-'er-since-college Black & Decker that I picked up as a floor model at Target for probably $20 is starting to kick the bucket.  You see, she's gotten a lot more of a workout in the last 3 years since I started sewing.

The main issue: she sputters and spews water like it's her job.

Secondary issue: the dang auto shut off feature.  I HATE that thing.  It's probably good for people ironing a pair of pants or people that often get sidetracked.  But it seriously drives me bonkers.  I don't mind it shutting off after, say, 20 minutes of non-use.  This thing seems to want to shut down after about 5 minutes and it stays off even after you come back to it and flip it horizontal to, you know, let it know you're ready to iron again.  Which means, I have to unplug the iron every 5 minutes to get it to turn back on again.

And it's smart.

It knows when I'm trying to do a quick unplug-then-plug-back-in maneuver and refuses to comply.  I have to literally count to 10 while I'm holding the plug in my hand and then plug it back in.  Why?  I think that's how long its little iron brain takes to shut down completely and *forget* that it was in auto WE DON'T WANT TO START A HOUSE FIRE shut off mode.

Trixy little minx.

Anyway, so she's breaking down in the usefulness department as well as breaking down in the steaming department.  I've been doing some research (and by doing research I mean googling stuff like "what is the best iron for quilters?" (You like that?  I'm 2 blocks into my first bee, and I'm googling like I'm a legit quilter.)

So far, I am coming up with some great threads on this question that are *completely worthless* because they were commented on several years ago and the irons mentioned are not even made anymore.  Searches on Amazon are not blowing my mind either.  Or rather, they are giving me a headache so I'm not going to do them anymore for awhile.  (Don't you love reviews split 50/50?  This is the best iron ever and you're a crazy person for not getting it already alongside Are you out of your mind this thing will electrocute and kill you how dare you even think about buying it?!)

So anyway, I thought I'd just ask you all . . . do you have an iron?  Do you like it?  Does it shut down on you when you're in the middle of something?  Does it spit scathing hot water on your feet when you move it too vigorously across your fabric?  Does it make all your dreams come true?  Do you love it so much you find yourself ironing things that don't need to be ironed just so you can use it?

See . . . this is the kind of info I need.

Please help.  I honestly really do need some direction.  Oh, and if it happens to be available at Jo-Ann that would be a bonus.  I have a gift card that is burning a hole in my pocket.

Oh, and when you're done commenting away on what iron I should get next (that may not make all my dreams come true but won't be a piece of crap), check out this article I found on my aforementioned Google search.

Did NOT see that coming.

Ronni July 21, 2010 at 7:47 AM

A friend recently recommended (and the quick research I had done seems to agree) that Rowenta is a fabulous brand. She has a crappy little mini craft one and says it works way better than any full size iron she's had. I do not have one of these, the iron I have (which I have no idea of the brand off hand) works "fine" and I feel bad buying a new one. But I do find the auto shut off to be annoying on mine too. Although, knowing how distracted I am...perhaps it's a good thing we don't start a house fire together.

Twyla Gariepy July 21, 2010 at 8:21 AM

I have an iron. No really. Ok maybe you'd never know from how I look, but I *do* have one. Its a "stainless steel" look. I got it from a second hand store about a million years ago and is "vintage" because hey irons are cheap at second hand stores (and yardsales).
It even works.
bonus.

aubrey July 21, 2010 at 10:50 AM

I have a Rowenta. I bought it at Joann's on Black Friday because I had a hard time justifying spending so much on an iron. But it works well and doesn't spit. It does have an auto shut off, which for me is good because I regularly forget about it. Just tipping it over and setting it back on the board 'wakes' it up again though and it heats up fast.

Vira July 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I think my iron is actually a relative of yours :)) It spits water, it doesn't steam even on the max setting, so I have my plant spray bottle and a cheesecloth on the ironing board all the time. I know it's probably my own fault since I never bothered to put distilled water in it, but who does that anyways? I'm liking that Rowenta that Aubrey mentioned....

Kathy July 21, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I've been using a Rowenta for a while now - also has the auto shutoff (which I wanted), but comes right back on when I go to use it - so hasn't been a problem for me. They're a bit pricey, so watch for sales or coupons at JoAnn's.

Skooks July 21, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Just to clarify, I'm not against auto shut-off completely. What I AM against is auto shut-off that has to be disabled by actually unplugging it for a minute in between uses. Super crazy annoying.

Hokey smokeys . . . Rowentas are expensive! I'm going to have to save up if I want to go that route. I've read good things about Oliso too . . . another $$ brand, but I'm intrigued.

We'll see . . . I'll probably suffer through this gal for awhile longer while I hem and haw over the options and wait for a good sale.

Skooks July 21, 2010 at 4:48 PM

BTW, most (if not all) Jo-Ann coupons have an exclusion on there that you can't use it for irons. :(

Ronni July 22, 2010 at 8:06 AM

They are definitely pricier than others, but you can still find some cheaper ones. Right now on the Joann website, they have 2 that are 47.99...that's not terrible. One even has the retractable cord, which I definitely enjoy. :)

Anonymous,  July 23, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Oh, how I hate ironing. I thank you for giving me credit for my photo that you used!
las - initially (on Flickr)