Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Are you Pinterest-ed?

As many of you know I am a bookmark-a-holic (still SO very glad I found Delicious), but sometimes there is just an image you like and want to keep for inspiration for whatever reason.  This would be like, if you were reading a magazine and you ripped out a picture of a great kitchen makeover to inspire you towards the plans for your own future kitchen re-do or clipped out that pic of your next haircut to bring with you to the stylist.

You know, stuff like that.

Except on the internet, you can't really do that unless you print everything out on paper.  And get it organized so you can find that inspiration when you want to again without having to dig through a million pieces of paper.  I don't know about you but that seems both wasteful and time consuming.

I have dabbled with We Heart It to grab those inspiring images I come across to look through later, but I'm finding Pinterest to be much easier to categorize and group like with like so that you can really make this info useful and workable for you someday.

I had never heard of, but was quickly turned on to Pinterest by my gal, Claire, over at Heart Handmade UK.  Basically, you can curate little pin boards of all sorts of things.  Any categories you want, like "For the Home", "Books Worth Reading", and "Products I Love" (really, anything you can dream up).

I had to request an invite from Pinterest to join, but I got one without any real trouble at all so I'm sure anyone could do the same.

And if you want to, you could follow along with my "pinnings" if you dig my style (I don't have a ton on there yet, but I can see this becoming my new "thing" really quick so check it out for all the updates if you're interested in seeing what's inspiring me lately).  I've already seen a lot of cool stuff from surfing around other people's pin boards so I definitely find following people on there to be worthwhile.

I *think* I can also invite people to join Pinterest myself, so if you would like a personal invite, please let me know.  My email is skooksplayground[at]gmail[dot]com or you could just leave me a comment here on this post.

Happy Pinning!

P.S. It probably goes without saying based on my posting, but I was not given any special treat or spiff for talking about Pinterest. Just thought someone else out there would like to know. Hope it helps someone get their inspiration a little more organized!

CraftyMummy September 1, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Just popped over and had a look - looks great! Please invite me!

craftymummy2 at gmail {dot} com

Skooks September 1, 2010 at 11:35 PM

CM - I sent you an invite. Let me know if you didn't get it! :)

diane September 2, 2010 at 1:38 AM

i participated in the 'pin it forward' event earlier this summer and had absolutely no idea at the time that it would become my new online obsession!

i am a total bookmarkaholic too...but so many of mine are simply images. pinterest has made it soooo much fun to collect these pictures and create beautiful inspiration boards!

i'm going to go follow your boards right now. :)

here's my link if you want to follow me:

i am not September 3, 2010 at 8:17 AM

please invite me - I hate looking through my bookmarks for that duvet cover I found etc.

Skooks September 3, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Diane - You've found some great stuff! It is SO addicting.

i am not - Sent! You're going to love it. :)

Katherine September 10, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Looks interesting. I'm going to stick with my personal pinboard though, a simple rich text document that I just copy and paste pictures into and add a short text description for searching. I'm pretty sure that I will always be able to open it, and that the company won't disappear. I've been using it for two years now, and it is so amazing to scroll through it and be inspired.

Skooks September 10, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Katherine - Totally. Whatever works for you. My computer has crashed 3 times in the last 2 years so I'll keep pinning and if Pinterest fails someday oh well. ;)