While I still have yet to tackle the coveted "elephant apron", I have finished another special project that I had decided a long time I would make for Little Miss: her very own ballet bag!
She's entering her first dance class ever on Thursday and although she quipped the other day, "But I don't need dance lessons, Mom, because I already KNOW how to dance!" she is very excited to go and hang out with all the "dancing girls." (And basically won't stop talking about how she is now a "Bana-reela.")
Being the super inexperienced new dance-mom on the block I had no clue where to go about town collecting all the dance gear. Thankfully I had a brainwave about Zappos and ended up finding suitable ballet and tap shoes on there for a pretty reasonable price. (The free shipping back and forth were they to not have fit properly was totally worth it when I considered the alternative of schlepping the kids all around town looking for the proper foot gear.)
So now that we finally had her tights, leotard, ballet, and tap shoes in hand, I wanted a place we could keep all these things so that when it came time for dance class we wouldn't be running around wondering where we left them. We recently installed some hooks by our front door as a little launch pad (we have no coat closet) so now the bag has someplace to live as well.
Does it seem odd that I chose a lunch bag pattern to make a dance gear bag? The truth is, it is hard to say for sure how long Little Miss will participate in dance . . . this year's lessons were a gift from her generous grandparents. So whether for economic reasons or reasons generating from her own interest (or lack thereof), I didn't want the bag to be too one-purposed.
So I made it a lunch bag.
A few modifications I made: longer straps and velcro instead of a magnetic snap (I didn't have a snap so I used what I had). Since I was using that special Kokka Peter Pan and Tinkerbell fabric for the front and back I decided to stabilize it a bit by ironing some craft fuse to the back. This stiffened it up quite a bit and gives the bag much more shape and stability than the dobby cotton would have on its own (the pattern itself calls for canvas, I think).
The sides and the inner lining are made from Erin McMorris Weekends Oilcloth in Saturdays Pink.
I very STUPIDLY cut my main piece of fabric too short and didn't have enough left to re-cut a new piece, so I ended up MacGyvering the thing together with some scrap muslin I had that matched the shade of the Tinkerbell fabric and covered my tracks with some ribbon from the stash that actually coordinated pretty well with the colors in both the fabrics.
It was only upon completion of the bag that I realized that the muslin cover-up made a nice border I could have used to personalize the bag with her name. Oh well.
Overall I'm very pleased with how the bag turned out and can't WAIT to see Little Miss twirling and tapping away with all her "dancing girls." ;)
I'm linking up to some fun parties this week. You can check them out and join in on the fun RIGHT HERE. :)