|Nursery Makeover On YHL|
Ok, so here are some of the blogs I keep up with that are hugely inspiring to me lately when it comes to making my house a home - style-wise. Does this seem a bit off-topic for this blog? Well, as many of you know, Mr. Skooks and I recently purchased our first house and we are s.l.o.w.l.y. making it our own. We don't have tons of dough to shell out on making our place look ultra chic, so blogs that give me ideas on how to DIY stuff to spruce up the place are on top of my list of must-reads lately.
In no particular order here are some of my faves:
- Young House Love: I started reading this one back when they were called This Young House and though they've evolved a lot and dropped and/or switched around some of my favorite features, I still get lots of great ideas from their blog and find it a worthwhile read. (And for those people who think they're sellouts for all the giveaways they do and sponsor posts, give em a break. They both work full-time on the blog. Goodness, if only I was so lucky to get paid to write this blog!)
- Bower Power: Katie Bower cracks me up! I have her set in my "home dec" folder, but she's pretty diverse with her posting. No matter the topic though, I always find her to be a worthwhile and amusing read.
- Knock-Off Wood: Ok, so I have yet to actually get some tools out and build anything, but I find the FREE furniture plans hugely inspiring and am currently curating a little list of things that I would like Mr. Skooks to build for our house. In the spirit of Ana White, as a lady I should just do it myself. But for now I feel fine leaving the home carpentry to Mr. Skooks. I like and want the furniture, but if I had a chunk of time to work on a project, I'd rather have it involve a sewing machine!
- Inspiration for Decoration: This one is basically just eye candy . . . loads and loads of images of beautiful spaces to get your creative interior decorating juices flowing.
- Remodelaholic: Reading this one makes you feel like you hit the motherload of project ideas!
- Nesting Place: The Nester frequently has great cheap ideas on how to punch up your space a bit. She's a great example of how you can truly make a rental your home. Yes, I know I'm not in a rental anymore . . . ideas applicable for homeowners too. :)
- Thrifty Decor Chick: I've enjoyed her style and tips for awhile, but she totally won me over when I learned she was a Dave Ramsey-ian. Making your house your own does not have to break your bank! And you can still focus on your financial goals while you inject some panache into your home. LOVE that.
- Centsational Girl: Do you see a theme here yet with the blog names? LOL. I became acquainted with the Centsational Girl when she had her ornament party last year (anyone remember this post?) Another person with great style showing how you can get 'er done for less.
- Chez Larsson: Another one with some more diverse postings . . . check this one out if you like CLEAN, WHITE, and MODERN. Benita is also a bit of an organizing freak . . . and I kind of love her for it because she's given me some good ideas for how to keep my spaces more organized as well.