Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Love Birds Taggie Quilt

In between commercials during "The Event" last night I was able to finish off my bitty blankie project.  Not a moment too soon either . . . my friend had a beautiful baby girl on Wednesday last week!  Glad I guessed the gender right.  ;)

I went with some different kind of stitching for the quilting.  I got this beautiful variegated thread in "autumn" by Sulky.  It complemented all the colors in the quilt so well . . . I'm really happy with how that came together.

Jana, you may notice I took your suggestion and made this little guy into a taggie blanket.  Now it feels a bit more like a gift with purpose than just a "I thought this quilt pattern was adorable so I made it without thinking" kind of a thing.  I love my readers!  :)

I'm going to miss this little one, but it is going to go live at a GREAT home.

Linking up to some sweet parties this week.  Check them all out here and join in on the fun!

Diane September 21, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I love it! :) It turned out really cute. And your stitching looks really good! I don't know if I've seen zigzag quilting. I'll have to try it! (I'm a fan). :)

Where do you get all your different ribbon for the tags?

Skooks September 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Thanks for your comment, Diane! So glad to have you as a new follower. :)

The stitching is actually not zigzag . . . it's more like a reverse railroad. Think straight line down the middle with short horizontal stitches running through it every other stitch. My picture doesn't capture it amazingly, but I think for certain quilts zigzag would look really cool too. I'm a total newbie quilter so I'm probably breaking all kinds of quilting protocol with my "methods", but oh well. My machine has loads of decorative stitches and it's fun to figure out where I can work them in to my projects.

As for the ribbon stash . . . I've got a big one to dip into. Several years ago one of my friends destashed a ton of ribbon offcuts to me (as well as piles of fabric). We used to work at the Hobby Lobby and back in the day we would take all the odd ribbon and trim scraps and put them in big ziplock bags to sell for a discounted rate. She bought a ton of those bags and didn't seem to use them much so she gave them to me. SCORE!

All that aside, I still do shop for special trims sometimes as I did for this project (I used 1/2 stash ribbon and 1/2 new because I didn't have enough that coordinated with my quilt top). The local specialty fabric store has an ok selection of ribbon so I grabbed a few small pieces there while I was picking up some fabric for some other projects. I may be biased on this, but I still think the Hob-Lob has a great selection on ribbon (both in the Floral and the Fabric sections) . . . probably even better than Jo-Ann.

Hope that helps!

Jessica September 21, 2010 at 4:37 PM

That is really adorable! I love the tags!

Kathy September 22, 2010 at 4:30 PM

LOVE your quilt, and that stitching looks wonderful, it caught my eye right away. Had already been thinking of doing something creative stitching on my baby quilt - but will need to experiment on scraps beforehand to see what looks best.

Also, was bragging on you again today, shared your crafty blog with Diane and Erin (when I met them for lunch). Keep those great ideas and pics coming!

Jami September 22, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Beautiful creation...lucky baby!
smiles~

Skooks September 22, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! This one was a lot of fun to make. :)

Sandra :) September 23, 2010 at 9:20 AM

I saw your link @ "Look What I Made" - what a beautiful quilt for a very lucky baby!

Katherine October 3, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Okay, third comment in 5 minutes, but I really like that quilt. The birds are really cute, and I always like blue with orange.