Monday, October 18, 2010

A Little Tree Blankie (Tags too!)

I wrote this whole blog post last week about a pattern fail, but I don't think I'm going to publish it. I'm just not really interested in spreading bad karma around. HOWEVER,  I do have a little question that I would love for you to answer in the comments here: what would it take for you to leave negative feedback for someone on Etsy? Like, say they wrote up a pattern and then sent it to you quick and were friendly and such, but the pattern itself wasn't that great? And it had some errors in it (I was able to figure out what was needed, but still) and then omitted how to actually accomplish a step by "leaving it up to the home sewer to decide how to do"? The pattern frustrated me, but I just really don't want to leave negative feedback. I don't know why I'm such a wuss about it . . . I've never even considered not giving excellent feedback before so this is all new territory for me.

ANYHOO.

So what I'm really trying to post about now is what I ended up giving as a baby shower gift for my cousin because my original plan (the aforementioned less than stellar pattern) turned out to not be so great. This was meant to supplement the gift, but ended up becoming the whole gift. Which, in the end, was fine because I was happy with how it turned out.

I was inspired by a design for a pillow that I found somewhere . . . Sew Mama Sew maybe?  [Thanks Diane for the reminder.  The tute can be found on Cluck Cluck Sew.] Anyway, I've had it in my head for a long time now and been wanting to do something with the idea. I ended up with a bunch of extra material left over from the previously mentioned pattern fail, took some of my 5" squares from my little stash and came up with this:

Tree Applique Taggie Blanket - backing detail
The red backing was the extra fabric I had for my intended project.  I used some corduroy for the trunk to give it a little texture.  The knot in the middle of the tree is made from some soft brown chenille-y type fabric.  I cut 11 or so of my 5" squares in half and then cut those pieces into 2 leaves each.
Tree Applique Taggie Blanket - Detail
I used some Wonder Under on the underside of the leaves to get them in the places I wanted before I sewed them down for stability.  Just a simple line of red thread about 1/4" in from the edges . . . this task was made easier by just lifting the presser foot and moving it over to the next leaf without cutting in between (making sure to give a few stitches forward and back to secure it first).  The whole thing came together pretty seamlessly, then I cut out all the little threads when I was done.
Tree Applique Taggie Blanket

I kinda want to make this again and again . . . this kind of applique is so fun!  (The whole thing is about 18.5" square so it's just a little guy.)

My cousin really liked it . . . she told me later that she wanted to keep it for herself and hang it up on her wall.  :)

I'm linking up again with the party people.  Show off the projects you've been working on and come party with me RIGHT HERE.

Oh, and weigh in on the feedback on Etsy thing in the comments, k?

Betty October 18, 2010 at 1:34 AM

This is EASILY one of the most beautiful things anyone has ever given me in my life. I'm IN LOVE with this tree and will treasure it forever. This is most definitely going up on a wall for all to love, and to preserve it's beauty and keep it safe from baby spills. Seriously, IN LOVE with it. Thank you x a million.

Skooks October 18, 2010 at 10:55 AM

B - You overly flatter me, girl! I'm so glad you love it. I can make you another one if you want so that the baby can still enjoy this one. ;)

Hearthandmade October 18, 2010 at 11:00 AM

did you contact the lady about the pattern? Maybe it was a genuine mistake - i wouldnt have left negative -possibly neutral if that were possible. Just saying great service but disappointed in the product.

Hearthandmade October 18, 2010 at 11:00 AM

oh yeah - your piece looks fab!! i got distracted and thinking too much about your dilema lol

Skooks October 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM

HH - I did. She respectfully disagreed that there were many errors in the pattern (though acknowledged that the cut list was wrong). She claimed that if she explained how to do the last step that she could be held liable if someone put a button on it and then gave it to a baby. I *sort of* followed her train of thought on that one, but mostly think that's not a good enough reason not to explain how to finish the piece. Especially because the one she made had no buttons on it. I disagree with her assertion that it's ok to write the last step completely vague as to "leave it up to the home sewer" to do as they please. If I buy a pattern I want it to tell me how to make the picture I see. Obviously if I want to tweak a pattern that is up to my discretion, but the pattern itself shouldn't leave a whole step out.

Even if I can figure out how to do something on my own, I'm saying I shouldn't *have* to. If I was looking to make it up myself I wouldn't have wasted my money on a pattern, right?

Am I off on this?

she wears flowers October 18, 2010 at 12:29 PM

This project is amazing--I LOVE it!!

I think you should leave neutral or negative feedback for the Etsy seller. It seems to me that you have tried to fix the problem without leaving negative feedback. The problem is that the product you bought is not a quality product. As an Etsy seller myself, I am scared (seriously scared!) that someone will leave me negative feedback because I feel like I bend over backwards to do quality work and to make sure the customer receives what was ordered and it is up to the standard that is expected. Why should I get the same feedback as someone who puts out low quality work? If it isn't up to an acceptable standard and the seller isn't willing to bring it up to that standard, you should let others know that.

If you are uncomfortable with that, you could skip the feedback so at least you aren't claiming it is positive when it isn't.

Jessica October 18, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I LOVE this tag blanket! I've seen pillows with this tree on it and I think it's genius to do it on a tag blanket. I am definately going to try this out, thanks so much for sharing.
Also about leaving feedback. I think you should be honest. I would tell what was wrong but I would just leave neutral feedback. Not negative. As a seller on etsy I like it when people are honest, it does hurt to hear but I'm glad people are honest with me. It helps me know how to make my items better. Hope this helps you!

justenoughstyle.blogspot.com

Tori October 18, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Gorgeous, I remember that tutorial and always liked it. Great gift! I need a gift for a friend's baby shower on Thursday, and I think I might do this or something similar!

Diane October 18, 2010 at 8:58 PM

So cute! I think you got this tree idea from Cluck Cluck Sew! I LOVE this and have been wanting to do it for a long time too! :) That's tough about your etsy situation. I would contact them and let them know your concerns. Wait to leave feedback until after you hear back from them/get the situation figured out. If they don't contact you back or try and come up with a solution, then you could do less than positive feedback, but I think it's not fair to the seller to get negative feedback without first being contacted. At least I know that's how I would feel. I hope it all gets worked out!

and again, your tree is SUPER awesome! It really did turn out so well!!! Great job! :)

Skooks October 18, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Diane - Thanks for the reminder! I updated the post so those that want to get the instructions from the original post can get back to it.

I did contact the seller and she was sorry that I had a bad experience, but stuck by her product and didn't really offer me anything but a "sorry the cut list was wrong."

Allison October 18, 2010 at 10:24 PM

LOVE IT! What a great idea to make it into a taggie...wonderful gift idea! Thanks for showing me! -Allison

Amnah October 19, 2010 at 12:29 PM

This is beautiful! I would love to try something like this. Thank you for sharing.

Sorry about your pattern fail. Is there an option to give a neutral rating? You can say that the seller was great but the pattern just didn't work for you. Maybe you can contact the seller and explain your issues. Maybe she'll be willing to let you exchange it for another item in her shop.

Moogie October 19, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I'm your newest follower. http://moogieland.blogspot.com/

Ronni October 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM

LOOOOOOVE!!! I love all things trees. And birds. Put a bird IN a tree, and I might just pass out from happiness. ;)

emilyc @ Sew Super Sweet October 19, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Super, super cute! I love this pattern and I love that you made it into a taggie-style blankie!

Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com October 20, 2010 at 12:40 AM

that is so cute! I love the tree! And what baby/toddler doesn't love taggies? I started a new linky on Tuesdays where I feature a tutorial (let me know if you ever want to be featured :) and then a linky for people to link up. Come by and add any projects you want!

kate October 20, 2010 at 10:50 AM

This is so CUTE!! I love it.

Tori October 20, 2010 at 11:03 AM

So I made a little taggie just like this! Thanks for the wonderful idea. I hope the gift recipient enjoys it as much as I enjoyed making it. http://adamandtori.blogspot.com/2010/10/sewing-projects.html

Desi October 20, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Love this!
I would have contacted the owner of the pattern via email, and explained the mistakes you found, and definitely not have left negative feedback; as you chose not to do. I don't have any Etsy shop, but I can see where negative comments could impact a business. Just my two cents. ;)

Terrell October 20, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Totally loving this!! It's just full of beautiful colors! I'm so happy to be your newest follower of your adorable blog, and I'd love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! Be sure to link up your sweet creations each Friday at my Fabulous Friday Finds party! Hope to see you there!
Hugs,
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

Katherine October 20, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Negative feedback is always hard. If it was my pattern I would definitely want to hear about any problems you had with it, but it sounds like you did that, and still aren't happy about it. That's what negative feedback is for... But I'm still not sure I could do it. And I think it's because the whole feedback thing is overblown... it's sort of like grade inflation... if there was a reasonable balance of negative feedback it wouldn't be so scary. But you can't fix that by yourself obviously. So, you 'should' leave negative feedback, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to do it.

Susan-Chasing Marcus October 20, 2010 at 10:40 PM

This is beautiful! I have made the tagged blankets before, but never appliqued on them first. What a wonderful way to expand the texture experience by the corduroy tree. Thank you for sharing.

Kara'sKreations October 21, 2010 at 5:31 PM

I looked at the others and links, I still think your fabric choices are the cutiest. Nice work! SO adorable.

Ray* November 4, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Adorable. I like alot!!!!

Remodelaholic November 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM

This is Beautiful!! I am loving this party link, Sorry I am so late letting you know, but I am planning on featuring this on Polly Want a Crafter on 11/9 @ 12:30 pm cst! Just wanted to let you know! I hope you come back and link up again!

p.s. I have no idea about the Etsy thing. But I bought a blogging secrets "e-book" about a year ago, and it ended up being 3 pages long. I was pretty ticked, cause I was short on cash and it was like 6 bucks...okay so not a ton of cash put @ 2.00 a page. uh not worth it!!! I didn't say anything, but it may be worth asking for your money back!

Good luck!
Cassity

Jessica November 12, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I can't stop thinking about this. Would you like to do a guest post about this on my blog?

justenoughstyle.blogspot.com

Skooks November 12, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Jessica - I'm glad you like it! I was going to email you asking what you had in mind for a guest post, but I can't seem to find your email address on your blog. Email me back. :)

kalonkakon December 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Love this! I am new to applique. I just found out my sis is having a baby and I would like to make her a blanket like this. I have a question regarding the applique. If you sew 1/4 inch in from the edges, will the edges fray with washing?

Skooks December 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM

They will a bit, so it depends how you feel about that look. If you're at all concerned about it, I would suggest using a zigzag stitch instead of a straight stitch. That should minimize fray and give you a more clean look . . . especially for a gift. :)