Monday, October 25, 2010

My Sewing Room aka The Mom Cave

UPDATE:  I've kept on keeping on in this room and did a bit of an overhaul on it.  Check out the update post with lots of pics HERE.  :)

I have been itching to do this post for a long time now, but I've held back because the room is not "done" yet.

What does "done" even mean?  Especially when referring to a creative space?  This room has evolved quite a bit already in the short time that it has existed, and I'm sure will continue to as my tastes and projects change.

I have been living in our new home since May and this is the first time that I have ever had a room all to myself since I've been married.  It is downright heavenly.  There are days when I'm stressed out, tired, crabby, feeling completely blah about everything . . . you have them, you know what I'm talking about.  Sometimes I just tell Mr. Skooks, "I need to go sew."  (He can usually tell without the words needing to be said.)

It's like having my own personal retreat center in my house.

Sometimes I sew, other times I clean up and organize my supplies in there (I find it much easier to let the creativity flow in a clean space), and sometimes I just take out a notebook and jot down some ideas for things I might try to make someday.

Let's face it.  Sometimes I just go in there and savor the solitude.  Even if it's only for a half hour.

It is easily my most favorite place in my house (and I really love my house so that's saying a lot!)  Someday I'd love to paint the walls and put up curtains and get a few more storage solutions in place, but for now I'm just glad to have my little Mom Cave.

Bonus: It's a whole room I don't have to worry about baby-proofing.  When I'm done doing my thing in there I can just SHUT THE DOOR.  No one's allowed in without Mom.  Hooray!

Cutting Table
Mr. Skooks gave my old bedroom furniture a face-lift by painting it antique white and giving the brass hardware a new coat of "brushed nickel" spray paint.  One of the dressers and the desk are the same size so I put them back to back and threw my cutting mat on top.  I love my "cutting table" and all the storage it provides!

Inspiration Wall
I got these little rails and clips from Ikea.  I LOVE how versatile they are for being able to accommodate any size picture I throw at them.  I also like how many pictures I can hang up at one time without having to buy frames or use tape.

Billy Shelf Over My Sewing Desk
Somehow I don't have a picture of my actual sewing table with my machines on it, but here's a pic of the shelving unit Mr. Skooks put up for me above that table.  Eventually the cubbies will display things in a cute way . . . at the moment it's a bit haphazard in there.

Ironing Board Storage
Most of the time my ironing board is set up underneath my inspiration wall, but when I need to get it out of the way I hang it on the back of the door.  You can see the corner of my sewing table to the left of the door.  I used to be WAY into knitting but have scaled back a ton since I started sewing a few years ago.  Still good to have some on hand though.  ;)
Ruler Organizer
To the left of my sewing table (and to the right of my cutting table) I hung this ruler organizer.  It is dandy for keeping all my measuring stuffs in one place so I can find whatever I need when I need it.

Hutch o' Sewing Goodies
The piece de resistance.  Here's a closeup view of my other dresser and hutch.  I store all my fabric in the drawers as well as ribbon and trims (except, as you can see, for the adorable fabric I leave out on the shelf because I love it so much and want to look at it every time I'm in there.)

Well . . . there's your mini-tour of my sewing room.  There are a few more nooks and crannies that I have yet to photo-document for you, but we'll save that for another day.  :)

Thanks for checking out my little slice of heaven!  I've curated a MASSIVE LIST of links on sweet ways to organize your crafty bits.  Check it out.  I promise you won't be disappointed!

Want to check out more Mom Caves?  The Centsational Girl is having a Mom Cave party over on her blog that you won't want to miss.  :)

Linking up with all the other party people RIGHT HERE.  Join in on the fun!

P.S. For those of you without a room to yourself, don't despair!  For the longest time I only had a little rolling cart to myself.  I later upgraded to a corner in my living room which worked great for me in my old house!

dogsmom October 25, 2010 at 7:50 AM

This has been a very inspirational post.
I feel calmer just by taking the tour!
Good Luck with the contest.

Kimberly {YeP, they are all mine} October 25, 2010 at 8:34 AM

I think I need a trip to Ikea for those rails and clips...genius! Good luck with the contest :)

Megan {Honey We're Home} October 25, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Looks like you've got all the supplies you need! I love your thread collection- is that dorky of me?! Those cables from Ikea are awesome!

Kathy October 25, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Skooks, I LOVE your retreat/sewing cave - makes me want to get a new room myself. You did a great job, and gave me some new ideas (if only I had more room). Can't wait to see more pics!

Sawdust and Paperscraps October 25, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Oh so organized! I wish I could see a bigger pic of your artwork display, it looks like a great idea!

Kim October 25, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Oh, that was fun. You really have it quite organized. I love your rail clips.

The Homemaker October 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Your Mom Cave state is way ahead of my current state. I applaud the way you organized your sewing room. Great job! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a positive comment.

momnivore October 25, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Love that ET lunchbox. I collect all things 80s...where did you get that? It's a rare one!

Good luck with the contest...

Skooks October 25, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Hey everyone! Thanks for the sweet comments. :) I've already moved a few things around since I took these pics . . . I can't seem to leave this space alone! Looking forward to getting a few more pics up of the rest of the space soon.

The picture rails are super dandy. I got them from Ikea (I think they're called Fiskevik) and they're not a bad price at $6/ea.

If anyone wants to see some bigger pics of any of the spaces you can check them out on my Flickr page.

Momnivore - I love my ET lunchbox! I bought it eons ago on eBay with the intention of starting a vintage lunchbox collection. As it turns out they are pretty pricey, so I had to stop after only buying one. Some collection! Maybe someday when I have a little money burning a hole in my pocket I'll pick up another one. (Is that ever going to happen?! Who has $$ to burn?)

Roberta October 25, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Lucky you with your first Mom Cave...I remember those days...each year as my boys flew the coup I'd take over their rooms...for the most part. Now we've downsized and our whole house is the size of a cave...lol BUT it doesn't stop me from creating and that is what it's all about. Have fun and don't worry about how it all looks...remember you can just shut the door. Make if functional and a place you want to be in and you'll be very creative. Best of luck, fondly, Roberta

Stacey October 25, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Love it!!! & I love the term Mom Cave- lol!!!

Ginger October 26, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Cool cave! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

Angie@Echoes of Laughter October 27, 2010 at 7:09 PM

I love your Mom Cave! Those rails from Ikea are brilliant in your space! You mentioned seeing my Mom Cave somewhere before...maybe Remodelaholic? It was on that site about 2 weeks ago! Thanks for visiting! Angie xo

Skooks October 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Angie - YES! I love Remodelaholic! That was totally it.

Sofia Sandoval November 19, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Love your chandelier! Beautiful, inspiring room.

Skooks November 19, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Thanks Sofia. That chandelier was a bit of a splurge . . . Mr. Skooks let me get it on a rare trip to IKEA. :)

PatSloan February 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Thank you for sharing with us at the Learning Center! .. Pat Sloan

Anne LO May 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I just found this old post. You can fix the bubble on your cutting mat by leaving it out in the sun on a very flat surface and leave it to cool completely. It works!

Skooks May 20, 2012 at 5:14 PM

A - I should try that! I am probably going to give it to a friend since I bought a bigger mat for my sewing room, but I'm sure she'd appreciate it flattened rather than bubbled up. ;) Thanks for the tip!