Wednesday, December 8, 2010

O Christmas Tree

Would that I had a better camera at the moment to capture how beautiful my Christmas tree looks this year.  This is our first Christmas in our new home so it's extra special to me.

Mr. Skooks found this 7 ft beauty at our local nursery (super score too as I had been sitting on a $30 gift card since my birthday which actually put it in our modest price range!):

My Christmas tree decorating tip if you have curious toddler-types living in your house: stock up on stuffed ornaments on clearance after Christmas (or make some yourself!) and let them decorate the bottom 1/3 of the tree with them.  It's hard to tell from the above photo but that's what we did and it saves my sanity knowing they're not pulling off any breakables (because they WILL pull stuff off the tree no matter how many times you tell them not to.)

I'm not sure if you can tell, but the star on top is capiz and it's absolutely gorgeous.  I found it at Target last year and love how classic it looks.

You can see a bit of what the tree skirt looks like.  Another great find at the after Christmas clearance sale at Pier 1 last year.  (I only buy holiday decor after the season because I'm cheap so super savvy like that.)

We have a very "family" oriented tree.  There's no cohesive theme, just our collection of ornaments gathered over the years reminding us of the Christmases we have celebrated with our loved ones in the past.

I'm posting about my tree as part of Thrifty Decor Chick's "Christmas Tree Party".  I love looking at all the trees and reading all about this decor and these traditions that we hold dear.  For those of you visiting for the first time, I'll share with you that a decent chunk of the ornaments on our tree are handmade.  My mom made my sisters and me ornaments for years and it's fun to see them mixed in with the ornaments that I've started to make for my own kids:
1. Snow Child Ornament 2009 - for Kee-ku, 2. Snow Child Ornament 2009 - for Little Miss
1. Kawaii Santa Bunny Ornament 2010 - for Little Miss, 2. Christmas Tree Ornament 2010 - for Kee-ku
I realize this is not "tree" related, but it's year 2 for the handmade stockings I made for the kids as well.  We have no fireplace/mantel in our new home, but they've found their places this year on our staircase.  :)
1. Stocking for Little Miss, 2. Stocking for Kee-ku
Thanks everyone for visiting with me and checking out our little tree!  I can't wait to see how everyone else is making their home festive for the holidays.

Show Me Your Tree

Carolina Carters December 9, 2010 at 7:45 AM

Your tree is so pretty! I miss having a real tree. I love all of the special ornaments! :)

Real Mountain Values (Brianna) December 9, 2010 at 7:54 AM

The stuffed ornaments are such a good idea!

We actually a set of matching unbreakable ornaments for the bottom. That way you couldn't even really tell that they differed unless your up close.

Love the personalized ornaments and stockings. It's nice for each child to be able to have their own. Also cool way to keep the tradition going on.

Very nice!

Two Shades of Pink December 9, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Oh, your tree is so gorgeous! I am trying to get photos of all my decorations but my house is sooooo dark during the day. I could write a book about why but I will spare you. Anyway...love how you have the handmade touch to your ornaments and decor. It is such a sweet memory for your kiddies to look back on and know you did all of it with love. Wow. Become a follower of your blog...write book comments. The end. No wait. And we have all the felt/stuffed ornaments on a tabletop tree that is on the floor in Ella's room. That is how we did that. Now I am done.

Skooks December 9, 2010 at 10:26 AM

CC - Thanks! It was fortuitous that I found that gift card or I would be saying the same thing right now. :)

B - That's a great idea! I just like for the kids to be involved as much as they can. Only problem is now they think it's their job to pull them off at random and re-decorate. Not a super big deal, but it does make for a bit more needle clean up at the end of the day. ;)

Jess - My house has a lot of windows to let in the light if there WERE any sun out these days. Yes, if there were sunlight I might have some better photos too. Someday I think it'd be fun to do a kids' tree (maybe in their room, maybe in the playroom), but at the moment I don't have enough non-breakables to cover the hole it would leave on the big tree. Probably as long as they persist in ornament pulling, I'll be doing my "1/3 of the tree is yours" bit with the kids. :)

Beth@The Stories of A2Z December 9, 2010 at 10:41 AM

How lovely! And Target??? Fantastic!

Kristan Anne December 9, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I wish we had a real tree. And you tree topper is amazing. I love it. Cute ornaments too!

Skooks December 9, 2010 at 11:59 AM

B - I know! I'm glad I snagged it when I did too . . . there were only 2 left and the next time I went they were gone. They don't restock Christmas stuff so you got to grab that stuff when you see it!

KA - Real trees may become cost prohibitive at some point, but as long as we can afford it, we're keeping it real!

radn December 9, 2010 at 1:06 PM

love the snow child ornaments!

Dacia December 9, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Thanks for the blog visit. Love all your beautiful tree ornaments. I just love Christmas trees and how they're all different and beautiful!

My Cottage Charm December 9, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Thanks so much for leaving such a sweet comment....I'm glad you like my Christmas decor! :)
Your tree is just lovely....it looks artificial it's such a perfect shape! Great job picking it out!
Hope to see you again!
Hugs
Missy

Skooks December 9, 2010 at 4:19 PM

MCC - If it wasn't my tree I wouldn't believe it was real either. It was literally the PERFECT tree. Mr. Skooks has a great eye for stuff like that. Thanks for visiting! :)

Jerri December 9, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Your tree is lovely! Thanks for visiting my blog today!

I'd love to invite you to our Holly Bloggy Christmas next week! It's a week of link parties and prizes. I'll be hosting the recipe party on Thursday!

Lindy December 9, 2010 at 8:47 PM

What a great tip -- using stuffed ornaments on the bottom! Very pretty tree AND skirt!!!

rebecca @ older and wisor December 10, 2010 at 9:01 AM

I love the handmade feel of your decor - so pretty! Even that tree skirt looks like you *could* have made it....a story that I'd definitely be sticking to, although my lack of sewing skills would give it away ;)

Sherry December 10, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Oh, yes very toddler friendly indeed. We have had that very same kind of tree for many years. This year was actually the first time I have had the glass ornaments on it for several years.LOL Very nice, thanks for stopping by.
Sherry