Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Glow Happy Update

I'm aware that it's been awhile since I've posted anything of real substance.  Or anything for that matter.

I just want you to know, it's not because I haven't been working.  :)

When I mentioned awhile back that I picked up some Kona to work on my Glow Happy quilt, I got to it right away . . . cutting out all those what-felt-like-MILLIONS-of-tiny-pieces so I could actually start assembling my quilt blocks.  (I had been sitting on the cut up pieces of Holiday Happy for months.)

It may not seem terribly exciting, or timely, to be posting about a Christmas quilt right before Easter . . . but let me assure you that the longer I wait to tackle this guy the less likely it will actually be done for Christmas this year.

Besides, once all the pieces were cut out it started coming together pretty quickly.  Mr. Skooks broke his toe a few weeks ago (youch!) so he's stayed home a few days from work here and there to help with recuperating which ended up giving me some extra time for sewing.

Glow Happy - So Far . . .

I took a break from the machine sewing to work on those cute little tassels on the bottom of the lantern chains. The 4th Season of Mad Men arriving in my mailbox via Netflix didn't hurt my embroidering mojo either. ;)

Embroidery Detail

I've worked up the last two rows for the most part (sorry - no picture of those yet) . . . I just need to embroider the loops and tassels so I can finish sewing em up.

Not sure when I'll get to that (and the borders) though.  I'm dangerously close to that super busy spring time of the year . . . first it's Easter, then Little Miss' 4th birthday, my birthday, our anniversary, and Mother's Day.  It's quite a crazy 2 weeks every year for us.  In a good way . . . but still.

What's everybody else working on these days?

Two Shades of Pink April 13, 2011 at 2:57 PM

This is so BEAUTIFUL! You have such mad skills and I am a winging it, maybe it will turn out, sewing kind of girl. And I am not working on a thing. Just trying to find my dining room table at the moment with a whole lot of fabric on it.

happy zombie April 13, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I love so much that you're making this! And I love that you're working on it during Mad Men season 4. We just watched S4 too. It feels like it was in my Netflix queue forever!

Skooks April 13, 2011 at 3:30 PM

LOL, Jess! I still wing stuff a lot . . . not everything is a home-run, but it is fun to just start going sometimes and see what happens. :) I've got a couple of those kinds of ideas up my sleeves . . . when I get the time I'll get some of those things going.

Skooks April 13, 2011 at 3:38 PM

HZ - I know . . . we have one disk left to go on S4, and it felt like an eternity waiting for it. P.S. I can't believe you came to my blog! Consider me starstruck. :D

jillyヅ April 13, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Oh Skooks your so funny. Looking pretty darn good for "just winging it". And tell Mr. Skooks if he would just break a toe here and there more often, you would be able to get tons more done, hehehe. I am seriously joking, broke my toe once...so not fun.

blessings, jilly

Skooks April 13, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Jilly - To clarify, I'm not winging *this* one. This is a pattern. But I have some ideas for stuff I want to wing in the future. :)

And poor Mr. Skooks . . . I'd joke with him about it, but it's just too sad! He had just gotten his bike all ready now that the weather is warming up, and it's going to be a month before he can ride it.

CraftyMummy April 14, 2011 at 6:18 AM

I LOVE this! The lanterns are so pretty and the little tassel really finishes each one off

Heather April 14, 2011 at 6:56 AM

I love your lanterns! We're doing a challenge with my Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild (the kaufman/kona/charm pack challenge) I've been toying with a modified version of this. Your prints are so nice, though. I don't know if solids would translate as well.

Skooks April 14, 2011 at 7:14 AM

CM - Thanks! I really love the pattern even more in person. My pictures are a little terrible!

Heather - Yeah, I don't know? Were you thinking about using variations of the same color for each chain? It might be cool if you throw some random handwork on a few for variation.

Skooks April 14, 2011 at 7:15 AM

Heather - P.S. To be honest, I couldn't help noticing as I made it up that it would probably be lovely in vintage sheets!

Sarah@Dolls And Daydreams April 14, 2011 at 11:55 PM

Oh i really love it!! What an original design!