Sunday, April 17, 2011

A New Woodland Friend

I love making stuffed friends. I really do.

So I knew as soon as I heard that one of my closest friends of all time was having her first baby, that I had to make her (baby) one.  But which?

I have amassed a nice little collection of stuffie patterns over the years . . . so many cute ones to choose from.  Are you at all surprised that I went rogue and got a new one? :)

I had become acquainted with Sarah's work when I discovered her Dolly Donations site awhile back. It was one of the first ones I bookmarked as I pondered putting together a Craft for a Cause post (something I'd like to revisit more and more this year as time allows). Her adorable Etsy shop Dolls and Daydreams is filled with patterns for some absolutely darling dolls. And based on my experience with this pattern, I'll definitely be a customer of hers again (likely in the near future).

Stag Softie

My friend is doing kind of a woodland themed nursery for her baby boy (from what I can tell by checking out her registry), so I thought this little deer would fit the bill.

Stag - frontStag Softie - back

I love the little tail . . . SO CUTE.
Stag Tail - detail
While I was making breakfast the morning after I completed it, Little Miss was helping Molly Monkey and the Stag get better acquainted.
Molly Monkey and the Stag Softie
She (and Molly) were both sad to learn he's destined to live with another family.

I'm so glad to do it though.  Though I am positive, based on my experience with the baby's parents, that he won't have a hard time making good friends . . . I thought it couldn't hurt to start him off with one.

Love you, Baby P!

Linking up with some awesome parties RIGHT HERE.

In case you're curious about the fabrics used:
-Brown body: Brown Brushstroke by Eric Carle for Andover
-Green polka dots: Frolic by Sandy Gervais for Moda
-Antlers: Dwell Studio for Target (I used part of a cloth napkin I bought just because I liked the fabric.  LOL.)
*********************************************************************************
P.S.  Thanks for the shoutout!:

Photobucket

Sarah@Dolls And Daydreams April 18, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Very cute!! I am so happy you loved your new pattern and so did his new family :)

Take care and Happy Sewing,

Sarah

Eleni April 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Ohh this is just adorable!! I wanna hug and squizze it and hug it and squizze it...you get my point right???
Thanks so much for sharing this!!!
Eleni

Rachel April 18, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Oh my goodness, that is SO adorable! I love it! I looked through some of your older posts--I just love (LOVE LOVE!) your quilting blocks! It's been so long since I quilted . . . you're giving me the quilting itch! I'm a new follower!

Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

Ronni April 18, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I LOVE IT, TOO! So glad he gets to come live with me. I promise he will make it to baby boy P's room...eventually. ;-)

Ronni April 18, 2011 at 3:44 PM

P.S. The tail is totally my most favorite part.

amber marchant April 18, 2011 at 6:40 PM

This is just precious! The face is irresistable! Great work!!

amber @ barbwired

Hearthandmade April 19, 2011 at 1:26 PM

omg! he is amazing!!! i love the shape ^-^

Carol April 19, 2011 at 2:03 PM

More power to you for doing animals. I do a lot of crafting, but animals and I just don't usually make it. Lovely gift for your friend.

Stopping in from Fabric Tuesday. My link is http://carolburris.com/quilting/string-pieced-place-mats/ ‎

Ginger April 21, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Hehe! That little guy is so cute! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

Quiltstory April 22, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Cutie! Thanks for linking to Quiltstory!

Ginger April 24, 2011 at 8:20 PM

You have been featured at SSB! Check out your feature below:

Feel free to snag the I Was Featured button for your blog and I hope you'll visit again soon!
xoxo
Ginger
SSB

Jane @ The Borrowed Abode May 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM

These guys are so cute! I attempted to make a doll for my niece for Christmas. None of the results were nearly as cute as these. :)

Skooks May 23, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Thanks for all the sweet feedback everyone! This pattern is definitely a winner.