Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tools of the Trade: Quilter's Grid

Until recently I had never even heard of this stuff, but I used Quilter's Grid on a block for my Bee Vintage group and IT.IS.GENIUS.

It bugs me a bit sometimes when I see someone "write" their own tutorial for something that they saw a tutorial for, so I'm not going to reinvent the wheel on this one. (No, no, I'm not mad at you if you saw something cool, switched it up a bit and blogged about it . . . no worries, friends.) However, I switched nothing so I'm not going to tutorialize like I did.  My queen bee, Heather, posted a very concise and easy to follow tute on the use of Quilter's Grid on her blog, and I won't steal her thunder.

You should seriously check it out though. BRILLIANT STUFF, I tell you.

I started with 100 - 2" vintage sheet squares (hurray for using up itty scraps!) and a 20" square of the QG and when I was done I had this:
Quilter's Grid Block

I defy you to find a non-perfect point. (Seriously, you don't have to scrutinize it. Just trust me. This stuff works!)
Quilter's Grid Block - Front Detail

I felt like I was cheating while I was using it, but when I saw the outcome I screamed, "I don't care!" and made Mr. Skooks marvel over it with wonder.

"Look at the back . . . NESTED SEAMS!"
Quilter's Grid Block - Back Detail

Bless his heart.  I love that he humors me about this stuff.

Kelly May 24, 2011 at 2:03 PM

ha! i've got a bunch of this stuff but didn't know what it was for! (my mom buys sewing/craft stuff at thrift stores for me and sometimes it's awesome, sometimes it's god awful!) but now I know what to do with it - oh it's on! Thanks!

Jacey May 24, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Wow, I will absolutely have to try out this magic for myself. Your block looks lovely!

Esther May 24, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I love it! So bright and cheery!

H2Ogirl May 24, 2011 at 5:51 PM

what. . you don't have to make your own. . what what. oh this is awesome!

zees5 May 24, 2011 at 9:55 PM

This is gorgeous. You've made we really want some vintage sheets now. Lovely. I entered your giveaway too!

Yadira May 25, 2011 at 1:19 AM

I'd never try to make a quilt, just a little patchwork for purses. This looks like it would help me. ;D

Amanda May 26, 2011 at 12:23 PM

That looks amazing! Definitely something I need to look into! :)

Cassandra {Sleeping or Sewing} May 26, 2011 at 11:27 PM

OMG! That looks amazing!!! I'm soo wanting to do a quilt...well finish a quilt. I started on an i-spy quilt about 3 months ago and it's at a stand still. Sooooo much cutting.

I'm drooling over a vintage sheet quilt, and that display of perfection you have there is absolutely amazing. Now I have even more desire to put my vintage sheet scraps to use.

Great job!