Monday, June 6, 2011

Crop Circles Table Runner

Why is it that whenever I find a project that I would just LOVE to make for myself, I always go ahead and make it for someone else?

Anyone else do this . . .?

Anyway, back when I was using Delicious and before the dawn of my obsession with Pinterest, I came across this tutorial.  I have a beautiful dining room table made from rubberwood (I found it at World Market several years ago), and it has a tendency to get piled with this-s and that-s if I don't cute-ify it on a regular basis.  There's something about a "made up" table that helps me keep it clean.

Anyway.  This is all beside the point because I didn't make this for myself.  I made this for some dear friends who are tying the knot later this summer.  I worked this up a few weekends ago but have been putting off posting about it so as not to ruin the surprise.  (The shower was this past weekend, so we're all clear now.)

Krista over at Poppyprint (who posted the tutorial) dubbed it the Crop Circles Table Runner.  I was drawn to its simple design, the use of linen, the handsewn detailing, and the endless fabric combination possibilities.  I enlisted the help of one of our mutual friends to select fabrics.
That large floral in the middle was my inspiration piece.  The bride to be loves greens and blues.  I measured every other fabric we auditioned in the store against it.  A few of the smaller circles were cut out of charm squares I had in my stash.
Not a part of the original design, I decided that I wanted to personalize the back of the runner to commemorate the occasion.  I felt a bit clever with myself for using the font on their "save the date" card.  I scanned it into my computer, blew it up, and then traced it onto some linen-looking (but sturdier than the linen I used on the front) fabric I had with a transfer pen.  I was able to finish all the circle detailing and embroidery of the names while Mr. Skooks and I enjoyed some comedy shows on streaming Netflix.

Man, I love streaming Netflix.
I did some of the circle detail stitching on the front before I sewed the pieces together.  Because I was adding the name strip to the backing, I knew that I'd have to make sure that the part that was going to be covered would be hand stitched first.

I wasn't necessarily in love with having the embroidery show through on the back, but it helps the layers stay together as it's not "quilted" in any other way.  I wasn't trying to make the runner reversible so it doesn't *really* matter, but I try to make things look as finished as I can muster so I had to just let that bit of perfectionism go.

Truthfully, I don't mind things that have a handmade look.

Anyway, I was thrilled to finally be able to give it to them.  I'm really looking forward to their wedding this summer . . . congratulations again, Superfriends!  :)

Linking this project up with:

Bloggers' Dinner Party

kfro June 6, 2011 at 3:16 PM

yay!!! it is a beautiful runner and i <3 it very much!!!!! but not as much as i heart you!!!!! exclamation points!!!!

also, honored to be noted in a post!!

!!!!!!!!!!

♥Duff June 6, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Oh Skooks, this is better than Human Pudding! You rock! Yours is a true homage to the original & love your fabric choices! I bet Kimberlee and Nick will treasure it for years to come♥

Poppyprint June 6, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Oh my gosh, I think this is the first time anyone's done a blog post and showed a finished project from one of my tutorials. Yay you!!! Thank you so much for the shout out and might I just say that this is one rockin' wedding gift. I love the embroidered names/date on the back as a label. Your fabric choices and stitching are beautiful - it all looks gorgeous.

Kathy June 6, 2011 at 10:42 PM

What a beautiful idea for a gift, loved how your personalized it too. Great job Skooks!!!

Kate S. June 6, 2011 at 11:24 PM

I love this! I remember seeing this tutorial originally (or something made from it) and thinking it was super cute - yours looks great!

Thanks so much for joining in the Bloggers' Dinner Party :)

Peg June 7, 2011 at 8:27 AM

It's gorgeous. I love the hand detailing. Very lucky couple!

Ronni June 7, 2011 at 9:53 AM

It's fabulous! Love the stitching AND the colors. Great job :)...and also, we love streaming Netflix, too. It's amazing.

Tammy @ she wears flowers June 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM

This is gorgeous! And the personalization really makes it special. Way to go!!

aubrey June 7, 2011 at 10:53 PM

The runner came out beautifully! I am all about circles lately too for some reason.

And, yes, I end up making things for other people. Usually it is my sister though and I have been known to ask for things back (for a bit)so I can see what I did in the first place :)

Controlling My Chaos June 11, 2011 at 12:22 AM

What a gorgeous table runner. You have some very lucky friends.

Lindsay Conner June 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM

This is an awesome looking table runner! I've never really considered a table runner something that I "need" but I could definitely find a use for one of these. So pretty! Stopping by from the Dinner Party. :)

Creatively Content January 22, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Love this!! I really enjoy the colors and the embroidery work around the circles...gets my mind a turning. I love your on the fly sewing as you describe yourself. I have a tendency to make things up along the way also. Thank you a bunch for stopping by my blog Creatively Content and commenting on my scrap fabric pillow with a pop. So glad to have met your acquaintance. Happy sewing to you.:)