Friday, June 10, 2011

Double Pinwheel Block

In order to round out my Vintage Sheet Freedom Bee blocks, I just needed one more.  Remember that design wall I showed you the other day?

Design Wall

Remember that hole?

I wasn't sure what to make to fill in the space . . . I'm really not a quilting maven and I have no books on quilting, so to the internets I went.  (Yes, I said "internets".)  I started a pin board on Pinterest for cool quilt blocks and quilt designs I run across . . . it came in handy with this dilemma.

Pretty quickly I settled on the Double Pinwheel Block via Kerry of Lovely Little Handmades.  I discovered this one back when I discovered the You Are Here block by Happy Zombie.  Both of these ladies were part of Block-A-Palooza which is definitely worth checking out if you're at all intrigued with quilting.

Anyhoo.

So I scanned over the directions, perused what was left of my sheet pieces, and scraped together enough squares to make this guy:

It was a little trying to get the block finished as I started dreaming it up a bit after Kee-ku went down for his nap, and he woke up before I was able to get 'er done.  Oh well.  Through the power of Veggie Tales CDs and Little Miss' Tag Reader, I was able to distract him for just long enough to add it to the rest of the pieces on the design wall:
We've got a seriously overcast day today so this picture is kind of awful . . . but you get the idea.

I switched the layout a bit . . . still playing with that.  We'll see how it feels when I look at it tomorrow.  (Oh how I love the design wall for just this very reason.)

Here's my question to you: how would you finish the top?  I have very little left in the way of coordinating sheets so I can't really make more blocks to make it bigger.  As it is, I'm going to have to monkey with a few of the blocks because they were made too small.

The unfinished blocks are 12.5" square so if I join them as is it's not going to be a terribly large quilt (not that this was necessarily the goal, just sayin').  The other option is to sash it between the blocks.  With what, I don't know . . . ideas?

Hearthandmade June 10, 2011 at 11:04 AM

this is excellent!! Im in the middle of my quilt now ^_^

sweet lemonade gal June 10, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Looks great. I added a bit of white to the smaller blocks, as the rest all seemed to have more white themselves. I lucked out and found a lavendar solid sheet and am making the sashings. Honestly, that's about all I think we can do in order to make them larger.

Hope to have some photos up by the weekend. Keep looking at that design wall...it will "talk" to ya;-)

blessings, jilly

Jacey June 10, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I think it would look good with or without sashing. You could also do no sashing, and add a border around the whole top. I like the idea of lavender, or maybe a light orange or light green.

Brenda June 10, 2011 at 11:36 PM

I still have some of your sheets. Let me know if there is a certain one you want and I will send it to you. I posted a picture of mine so far.

sukie June 15, 2011 at 11:02 AM

hmm you almost want some kind of solid between the sheets because of the floral designs. . . hard to decide! Good luck!

Deb June 15, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Oh my goodness that looks amazing. I've just finished mine too. Like you I ended up making some extras and I also used some more sheeting for blocks. I have to say I wish I'd used some plains now as now that it's quilted they don't stand out. Oh well, live and learn :) I was thinking how much I loved your colours and then remembered I picked them, lol.

Deb June 15, 2011 at 6:21 PM

also weirdly discovered I'm not following your blog. Don't know why. Have rectified that :)

Skooks June 15, 2011 at 6:34 PM

"I was thinking how much I loved your colours and then remembered I picked them, lol."

Deb - HAHAHAHA!