Friday, July 22, 2011

It's A Hoot Toddler Backpack

I think it's good once in awhile to really challenge yourself on a project.  Why make something in 15 steps that you could make in 1500?

Ok . . . I kid.  I'm exaggerating . . . mostly.  But really, this pattern kicked my butt around a few times.  It's not that the pattern is hard per se (when I did have questions, I was easily able to get a hold of the pattern designer and have her help me through it), but there is a lot that goes into it (in a good way - - the finished product is definitely not messing around).

What I'm saying is, if you want to take your handmade toddler backpack and have a rumble with the one I made for Little Miss, by all means . . . it's your bag's funeral.

Yeah . . . you read that right.

My backpack could kick your backpack's butt.  But it wouldn't.  It's way too pink and cutesy to give anyone the business:

Backpack Side View

For those of you with good memory skills, you may recall that I started this project back in April.  Ouch.  It was supposed to go hand in hand with Little Miss' birthday gift - - the one that actually made it into her hands *on time*: a Tag Reading System with a bunch of books.  And yes, I've seen the plastic case that goes with the Tag Reader.  However, since I seem to be on a quest to cover the world in fabric, the backpack felt like a natural solution.
Backpack Front View

Plus it holds more books.  For now anyway.

Come fall, my little girl will be starting preschool, and I'm sure the Tag books will get dumped in favor of a pencil case and a take home folder.
Backpack Back View

[sniff]
Backpack Model

Oh wait a minute . . . PENCIL CASE!

Project Notes:
Partying with the best of 'em RIGHT HERE!

Lindsay Conner July 22, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Oh, such a cute backpack in one of my favorite fabric lines! :)

Yadira July 23, 2011 at 1:17 AM

This is SO cute! I've had the urge to make back packs only because I've seen a few handmade ones that look fabulous. It does looks like a huge task though. Congratulations! You made a gorgeous back pack.

Kristy July 23, 2011 at 8:30 AM

That turned out soooo pretty!!!! You should be very proud! And just remember...the second time is always easier! ;)

Leah July 24, 2011 at 2:01 PM

WOW! This is amazing! You're like Aunt Kath more and more every day.

Karen July 25, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Great job! I love the fabric and I am sure your daughter is lovin' it!! New follower!
www.karismaheartsavannah.blogspot.com

Q @ JAQS July 25, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Ok that is very cool. I was shopping for a backpack this weekend and this is way cuter than anything I saw. Thanks for sharing.

BTW I'm hosting a 12 FAT quarter Fabric Giveaway. Come by and check it out when you get a chance :)

Q @ http://www.jaqsstudio.com/

BluBabesCreate July 25, 2011 at 4:51 PM

It's worth it! Look at the result! Now you've got me thinkin'............

The Autocrat: Haley July 25, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Whoa! Your backpack would definitely kick my backpack's butt! Seriously, you did an outstanding job!!

Jill July 25, 2011 at 8:14 PM

What a gorgeous backpack! Definitely worth the effort! That's one thing on my 'to try making' list!! Hope mine turns out that well!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

Rebecca Bany July 27, 2011 at 11:08 AM

That backpack is absolutely adorable!
www.rebeccabany.com

mab July 28, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I am seriously impressed with that fabulous backpack! I love that line of fabrics, too. Here's the problem: If I spent that much time making something that cute, then DANGIT, Mama's going to keep it! Sure, it'll look funny that I carry a cutie owl backpack around town while my daughter takes my old purse to school, but it'll help them develop a thick skin.

Skooks July 28, 2011 at 10:45 AM

mab - "That'll help develop a thick skin" - HA!!

You know what else helps your daughter develop a thick skin? Giving her a pixie cut before the first grade and having the bus driver call her a little boy. Not that I'm speaking from experience on that one . . .