I have been chipping away at organizing and cleaning up the new sewing room all weekend long. SO happy to report that things are coming along quite nicely, and hopefully I will be able to take some pictures and post about my progress very soon! A side effect I've noticed of all this cleaning and organizing of supplies is an increased desire to get back to the sewing machine and MAKE SOME STUFF. :)
In light of that, I decided it might be a good idea to jot down a little list so the ole brain can settle (and I can get some sleep!)
|1. It's a Hoot Toddler Backpack 2. Stitch Sewing Machine Cover 3. Tricked Out Bed Rails 4. Word Girl and Captain Huggyface 5. Recycled T-Shirt Halter Dress #3 6. Crop Circles Table Runner|
In no particular order:
- Lunch Bag for Little Miss - She is starting kindergarten in the fall and for the first time ever I'm going to be packing up lunches for her. I'm using leftover fabric from her backpack project (at her request . . . she wanted them to match!) and some remaining pieces of laminated cotton from her dance bag. I've already picked up some insulbrite, but I've hit a little snag on the way to lunch bag nirvana as I realized that the heavyweight fusible I bought this weekend to round out my supplies for said project was actually midweight fusible (which I have a PLETHORA of already - sigh) so I need to make another trip back to the fabric store sometime.
- Cover for The LockNess Monster - As I was setting up my sewing table today I decided that I wanted to take my serger out of hiding and put it on the right side of the table. So I'd . . . uh . . . actually use it. (Sidebar project for the serger: Learn how to thread the darn thing already.) Anyway . . . since I put it up there, I realized how much I dislike the cheap-o plastic cover that came with the machine (ok . . . this is not a new revelation, but it has been quite awhile since the serger has seen daylight so I kind of forgot about the cover situation). I'm envisioning doing a variation (obviously I'll have to scale it down differently) of the Bloom Sewing Machine Cover pattern that will complement what Connie's got going on. Should be epic.
- Book Display Shelf for Kee-ku - Since the bed rails on his bed have been taken down, I've got these perfectly good, but perfectly useless matching pieces to his bed set. The idea is to slightly deconstruct them and re-imagine them as book storage for his room.
- Halloween Costumes for the kids - Ok . . . this seems premature, except that I'm sure if I'm going to actually pull this off this year I need to get started on it sooner rather than later. Little Miss has her sights set on being WordGirl this year. She has decided (and I'm sure he won't mind) that Kee-ku needs to be Captain Huggyface. (Did I mention that they both LOVE this show?!) Still trying to decide if Kiwi will do her own thing or become Granny May or perhaps Lady Redundant Woman. I initially suggested that she be Chuck, the Evil Sandwich Making Guy (one of my favorite characters on the show), but Little Miss thought that was TOO CRAZY . . . since Kiwi is a girl after all.
- Summer Dresses for Little Miss - I have several Lil Blue Boo patterns for fun summer dresses made from old t-shirts that I have been wanting to pull out and use since last summer. It has been awhile since I made these, but as I recall they are super quick and fun to make. And they were some of her favorite outfits when I made the first round awhile back. I really hope to revisit them before the summer's gone!
- Curtains for the Sewing Room - Right now the sewing room is rocking some crazy mishmash of curtains . . . one window has leftover playroom curtains (the other set went upstairs into Kee-ku's room when we pulled the switcheroo) and the other has a set of crinkle curtains that I got from World Market that I'm pretty sure they don't make in that color anymore. While I'd love to buy some awesomely fun curtains from someplace (UO comes to mind), I'm thinking I might cut up some of my vintage sheets and do it up that way instead. We'll see . . .
- Runner for the Dining Room Table - I've got a few sets of place-mats and one really nice runner, but I've got an urge to make a nice "everyday" runner that I can leave on the table all the time. Thinking about possibly revisiting the Crop Circles idea. I've also got a really cool pattern somewhere for some kind of a leaf-y thing . . . I should look for that. That might be a good one . . .
- Pillows for the Living Room - I made pillows eons ago for our couches out of some place-mats that I found at World Market. While I really have liked them alot and they've served us well, I'm ready for a change. I got some fabric on clearance awhile back that I thought I would use to make them, but I'm anticipating the arrival of some new curtains for our living room (we've never had anything other than blinds up, so this is HUGE), and I want to make sure they will work before I commit to stitching anything up.
- Pillow for Little Miss - The other day she told me that she really wanted me to make her a "very detailed pillow" for her bed. The request came completely out of left field, but it sounds like it could be a fun one. Perhaps I could do a fun quilt block using a lot of different fabrics of her choosing from the scrap bin and make that into a pillow? I'm sure she has ideas . . .