Thursday, August 23, 2012

She Loves Her Lunchbox . . . AGAIN!

Well, after some head-scratchin' and note-jottin', I came up with some schematics for Little Miss' new school lunch box.  It was sad to have to put my first attempt aside, but as soon as the fabric for the new box was picked I was all in for Round 2.

She Loves Her Lunchbox

Now, I want you to know that Little Miss DID pick this fabric.  I took her on a little trip to JoAnn, and we walked the aisles together oohing and ahhing over the offerings.  (It's not typically my favorite store to purchase fabric from, but I had a coupon and laminated fabrics were on sale . . . it happens.)    She did loiter over a few prints that I reeeeeally didn't like too much - - I encouraged her to keep her eyes open for different possibilities (I was extremely hopeful that we wouldn't end up with character fabric.  In my mind, in that case I might as well just buy a lunch box off the shelf, right?  I can't even count the ways that I despise Dora.  And don't get me started on the whole princess thing!)
Folklorico Lunch Box Front

So we were both OVER THE MOON when we stumbled on Alexander Henry's Folklorico La Paloma.  Can you believe it?  In there amongst the fake camo fabric?  Talk about about a diamond in the rough.  The bright colors, the flowers, the hearts (and yes - - the birds), thrilled the heart of my soon-to-be-kindergartner while I let out a sigh of relief at her choice.   ;)
Folklorico Lunch Box

Getting some decent laminated cotton was a bit more challenging . . . I could only find 2 choices, neither of which were going to gel with our festive Folklorico.  I finally found an employee who directed me to a back endcap where there were a few more pre-cut choices.  I picked a fun little floral print (though, to be honest, I would have picked something a bit more toned down if it had been there since the outside is already so busy.)  None of the nuances of busy and calm seemed to trip up my little girl though . . . she was immediately on board with more bright flowers for the inside.  "Perfect!" she exclaimed as we added it to the cart.  (For those wondering, the laminated cotton is made by The Land of Whimzie, it's sold as a 1 yard piece [36"x42"], and it's PVC and phthalate free).
Folklorico Lunch Box Inside

I still used the Love Your Lunchbox pattern from Gingercake, as I did before, but I made the base a bit deeper and a scoche wider.  I'm pretty satisfied with the end product.  If/when I make this again for Kee-ku I will probably lengthen the strap a bit and make the flap just a bit longer.
Folklorico Lunch Box Side View

But, hooray!  It holds her little lunchkeeper, her little water bottle, and still has enough room for a banana or a cup of yogurt.  Actually . . . both.  :)
Reusable Ice Packs

For good measure I made a few little ice packs that I could tuck around her food to keep it cold.  Anyone else have these Enfamil cold packs from the hospital that they never use?  My kids have never been bottle drinkers, but I've kept them thinking I could use them for something someday.  I guess that day has come.

So happy to be able to check this one off the list.  AGAIN.

Next up . . . the backpack!

Linking up with some fun parties this week RIGHT HERE.
August Finishes

Miffy Chick August 23, 2012 at 3:34 PM

It looks FAB! Well done! And although the inside is not what you would have chosen for your first choice, it actually looks really good with it :-)

Particularly like the ice pack idea - any chance of posting a picture of what the insert looks like so I can see if it is similar to things we can get around here? Thanks and great job!

Miffy chick (exploringthroughplay@yahoo.co.uk)

Skooks August 23, 2012 at 4:05 PM

MC - Thank you so much! I agree . . . the inside is not a bad choice . . . there's just a lot going on with this bag. ;)

If you google "Enfamil ice pack" you might see what I'm talking about. It's a promotional item that comes in these giveaway packs they give to new moms after they give birth in the hospital. Between my 3 kids I have gotten like 5 or 6 of them over the years. They're probably about 3-4" x 6-7". I just quick covered them with some of the laminated cotton the same way you might make a slipcover for a pillow. I searched around a bit to see if I could find something similar for sale and I came across this at Bed, Bath, and Beyond: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=15133120 and the same thing in a 2-pack on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/J-L-Childress-Count-Reusable-Packs/dp/B007SRMHP4/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1345752106&sr=8-14&keywords=reusable+ice+pack

Hope you find something that will work! :)

Mandi @ The mab Blab August 25, 2012 at 6:28 PM

That's just awesome! Love the fabric. I may have to go find some of that right now..... And when the package arrives & my hub asks why I ordered more fabric when I already have yards & yards of it, I shall show him the picture of this lunchbox. If that doesn't sway him by its awesomeness, I shall rely on pregnancy hormones & cry. Bam. Instant approval for fabric purchase. :)

It's a Hodgepodge Life August 25, 2012 at 8:44 PM

This lunch box makes my heart sing! I am loving it so much that a lunch box session might be in my future. ;) Thanks for linking so that I could find your awesome blog and posts.
~Gay~

Skooks August 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM

M - Totally blame fabric purchasing on me. Do it. I am fine with it. And yes, pregnancy hormones totally works as a backup. ;)

G - Aww, thank you! A little lunch box session might be just what the doctor ordered. They work up quick. It's a sweet little pattern! Glad to have you as a new follower, too. :D

Katherine September 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM

This is fabulous. I did go and buy two Crocodile Creek lunch boxes for school this year, which are princessy, but at least not Disney. Yours in much more MORE!

Skooks September 4, 2012 at 1:57 PM

obsoat- Thank you so much! :)

K - I am not judging you. Had I brought her to the store and let her choose, I'm sure I would've ended up with the same. ;)