Starting to post in a new year is always difficult without putting some sort of ending on the last year. In fact, I still have posts sitting in the queue (unfinished) from CHRISTMAS making. Does anyone still want to hear about those things anymore . . . or have we all moved onto Easter already? Anyway . . . I want to get this show on the road, but we need a little wrap-me-up.
So, without further ado*, here it is . . . the Skooks' Playground 2012 Year in Review!
- A massive haul of Happy Mochi Yum Yum fabric, a slice of Heather Ross Mendocino, and a sweet print from my friend, Sarah.
- A few new toy sewing machine to add to my collection:
- Some more fabric I meant to make into pillows but then never did. Should revisit this . . .
- A few charms via The Charming Travelers swap
- Button Heart Clutch with Removable Wrist Strap - - nevermind that I made it years ago.
- A whole mess of fancy clutch purses. Ok, 5. Which felt like 50.
- ME! I still have no idea how this happened, but it was the most annoying thing and it sapped my blogging fervor quite a bit.
- HOSTED: None. BOOOOO.
- THE SEWING ROOM! Downstairs. To a bigger room WITH A CLOSET. This was epic. And I haven't even shown it to you yet!
- As part of the sewing room moving, the office space got relocated to the landing upstairs. I actually *just* totally threw away and reorganized all the paper and clutter here *yesterday*. This work never ends I tell ya.
- The hutch in the sewing room. Again. Don't worry. I just changed it again last week.
- I organized a bunch more stuff in my sewing room, but haven't taken time to document it yet. The lack of sunshine here makes for some really deplorably bad photos so I'm holding off to try to do it justice.
- 1,000 Clever Sewing Shortcuts & Tips by Deepika Prakash
- Not formally, but a prelim review of All Sewn Up by Chloe Owens was done here. Aaaand, I bought it with some Christmas gift card money so an actual review is forthcoming. :)
- Black & Decker Digital Advantage Iron (I actually did a review within a review of my former Oliso iron in this same post)
4 Things Friday:
- Totally Random Info you never even knew you were wondering about me
- Four Sewing Related Factoids about me
- Just some Awesome Stuff I Found
- Somehow . . . for Rik Rak Studio's Favorite Blog with a Handmaking Focus. I was absolutely nowhere close to winning, but my inner self who wonders if anyone actually reads this blog anymore got all glad about the 2 sweet people who found my blog worthy of such a thought. And no - neither of them were my mom. Double WOW!
I Made Some Treasuries:
- A Sewing Machine Gallery - - in case looking at your own machine isn't enough . . . and you want to hang pictures of sewing machines everywhere. Like I do.
- Stop Trying to Sell Me Crap - - I've had it up to here (UP TO HERE, I tell ya) with all the solicitors knocking on my door and waking up my babies. This was my way of making a silent stand. When that didn't keep them away, I bought this sign and haven't had any problems since.
- I Love My Kiwi - - I do. She's the sweetest little girl I ever did see.
- Quilts/Blankets: NONE. Can you believe this??? Me neither. Apparently 2012 was the year of "I want to make this cool quilt so much that I will actually never even start it". (Case in point: Here was my first idea for the Happy Mochi Yum Yum - - the Oh My Stars quilt-along)
- Not from scratch, but I did hem a tie this year. I know, weird.
- Do masks count as clothing? Because I made a bunch for my niece.
- L.M. wanted to be Trixie (a la Knuffle Bunny) for Book Day this year. So I made quick work of assembling a Trixie Costume.
- Knuffle Bunny, LM's accessory for Halloween this year.
- Christmas Decor:
- Ornaments for LM and Kee-ku.
- And Kiwi.
- A lone wise man. Apparently the other 2 didn't get the memo.
- A felt PEACE banner that I never got around to blogging about.
- 3 new Christmas stockings for the kids . . . never blogged that one either even though I was very pleased with how they turned out. (edited: the post is up!)
- Home Decor:
- Something bright for my awesome mother-in-law: Fresh Floral Contemporary Table Runner
- I gave the corkboard that lives over my desk a little refreshment. It's now serving as a backdrop for some treasured family photos.
- The cushions on my old porch chairs got a facelift. Hopefully this spring I can actually finish the makeover and spray paint those bad boys to match the little table out on the porch.
- I made Kee-ku a headboard so he wouldn't push out the back of his cheap-o Ikea bed while he sleeps. I cushed up his bedrails too . . . but ended up not using them. Kid ends up sleeping on the floor with his face in the hallway half the time anyway. Not to mention the fact that though they were once stable enough for Little Miss back in the day, they no longer seemed workable for Kee-ku's crazy active self. Safety first, people.
- Family Hand Portrait - - I had to after Kiwi was born.
- A new cover for the changing table. Because as cool as it is to know your little buns are touching the same pad as your siblings before you . . .
- Pop Daisy Ironing Board Cover - it was long overdue
- Serger Cover (apparently I just want to cover everything I own in fabric)
- A Breezy Patchwork Curtain to cover the door to my new sewing room closet. It's like a bomb went off in there right now but with this dandy curtain no one is any the wiser.
- A Flower Canopy for Little Miss' bed. Which she LOVED.
- Some giant flowers on the wall for the girls' room.
- Works of Peace Fiber Art
- Re-imagined Message Board for my front entry way. This has revolutionized my whole life.
- 5 - - yes, FIVE Fancy Bow Clutch Purses as a custom order for a friend who was getting married and needed special bridesmaid gifts.
- A lunch bag for Little Miss now that she's in Kindergarten.
- And yet ANOTHER lunch bag for LM . . . because the first one didn't hold enough stuff. :P
- Ok - I didn't make this bag, but I did tweak LM's backpack so it would coordinate with her new lunch bag.
- One - - Kiwi. She is the sweetest little girl on the planet. I can't believe she is going to be 1 in a few months. Considering the fact that I was pregnant with her at the beginning of the year, had her in May, and have been juggling life with 3 since, I can honestly say that I'm somewhat impressed that I had any finishes at all this year, let alone this many. Go me!
*it's 'ADO' not 'ADIEU' . . . this is a typo I see constantly and it drives me a little bananas!